Patient - Trusted medical information and support

Skip to content

Settings Messages Notifications

Sksulli Sksulli

?1 : Beginner

BV burning

Sksulli

Sksulli

Help please. I have been fighting with something ( apparently BV) for 9 months. I started dating someone new and immediately started having a mild burning in my vagina and a gross smell. I have always had a lot of discharge and that stayed the same. I treated it as a yeast infection with over the counter and home remedies. It would go away as long as he didn't ejaculate inside me. About 3 months ago the smell became horrible. I went to the Dr and they said I did not have any yeast or bacteria so it had to be peri- menopaus. (No idea how to spell that) I am 43. I got an estrogen cream that did nothing. I contacted a compounding pharmacy and they said that sometimes when you throw antibiotics at something it could build a super bug that can be undetected by tests and gave me a cream containing boric acid. That seemed to do the trick with the discharge and smell but nothing for the itching. The past week the itching, stabbing, burning, stinging has become more than I can bare. I went to a different Dr and they did a swab and said it's BV. They gave me flagyl and something else. The discomfort is so bad, I've had to use tooth ache numbing gel (which is not working anymore) and ibuprofen and Tylenol to be able to go to work. I soak in the tub at least 4x a day and take lots of sleeping pills to get through the night. My vulva is swollen so big I feel like a guy. Please help. I feel like I have tried everything. It hurts and itches so bad.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this, have you tried applying apple cider vinegar solution.
    • Posted

Yes, it does nothing at all. I've tried, peroxide, honey, aloe, baking soda, the list goes on and on. At this oint I'm taking 2aleve and 800 mg ibuprofen and a prescription pain pills every 5 hours. All while soaking, icing, using itch cream....

There has to be something more than BV. I don't have a obgyn appt until Monday. It's Wednesday now. I don't see how I can make it.

• Posted

After you took the flagyl, did you recolonize with probiotics and give your body time to build your good bacteria up? And by time, I also mean not having sex and just allowing your vagina to heal. I posted a few weeks ago my experience with BV and how I discovered my recurring BV was linked to a specific man. After coming to that conclusion, and treating my BV one last time with flagyl, taking a good probiotic containing L.cripatus (jarrow brand), inserting purfem vaginally for 10 nights, and laying off sex for 2 months (done with the bv causing Partner), I'm now BV free and have a healthy sex life. Dr's say men don't cause BV, but in my case one did. I wonder if this is the case with you.

• Posted

I haven't had sex and am taking a large dose of probiotics. I believe it's from my boyfriend and he is willing to do whatever it takes for me to not be in this pain. What is purfem? I'll do anything. Last night I almost went to the emergency room. Tonight I'm getting by because I dug out some prescription pain pills from when I hurt my back.

• Posted

Ask your Dr what type of bacteria you have. I do know there are different forms of it that cause BV. Mine was gardnerella which I do believe men carry. I'm sorry about the vaginal pain, I've never had that as a symptom so I can only imagine how you must feel. I would go back to the Dr about the pain because there may be something more than BV especially if you have finished your round of flagyl and still presenting symptoms. Also may I suggest you start taking folic acid and vitamin D3 along with your probiotics. Those are very helpful at maintaining a healthy ph. Another suggestion is to test your own ph at home so you can learn what tips your ph. I ordered the hydrion ph test strips from amazon. You want the ones that are in 3.0 to 5.5 range.

• Posted

I go to an obgyn on Monday. It's Thursday. I'm in do much pain. I will ask what type it is. I checked myself worth ph strips and it's an 8

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Did you find some relief? 

When I had BV I had burning, irritation, discomfort, pain, etc. It was awful. It did eventually go away.

What did your obgyn say? 

• Posted

I currently have the worst burning pains and i went to the emergency because it was not a UTI and they couldnt find anything abnormal.

they finally did a swab test and found BV and i am now taking antibiotics..

does it go away from the antibiotics or not? the pain is unbearable and burning sad im hoping in a couple of days the antibiotics clear it up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.