Pain from cerclage tension wires???

Posted , 6 users are following.

LTH anterior approach April 2016

Revision to retention cup July 2016

Revision posterior approach to longer femoral stem Feb 2017

Now 1 year out with wirh horrible pain down side of femur. Have 4 cerclage tension wires around my femur that was fractured at revision in 2017. Was told that these wires wouldn't cause me problem...At my wits end...ugh HELP

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I understand that these cable systems which I too have since my revision can cause

many complications. I had revision due to THR failure.

A revision for others who may not be aware of the surgical implications include

osteotomy- which is the surgical cutting of the femur bone to remove the primary

implant .The cable O ring and wire system is needed to hold the bone in place for the

reunion of the bone after the new larger component is placed in the femurimplant-is 11”  long to to length.

Vickie I assume a X-ray has shown some part of the cable wires a strand usually frays

away from the cable wires consisting of several tightly wound wires ,is held tightly by 

a system of clamps o,rings. Not sure what cable system you have I described mine still susceptable to complications in the future.

These wires can cause fretting in the ball joint and cause fretting metallosis,

pseudo tumors severe pain and necrosis. Some wire systems can literally cut off the blood supply to the bone in rare cases.

Surgery is the next option to repair the cable system cerclage.It important for you to see a surgeon that has experience repairing these systems. 

I hope thst you push and do whatever is necessary to find the care that is required . 

Sometimes it takes attorneys who specialize in these matters who know how to get things done. Many times while fighting for revision I had to fight for help while in severe pain I could not even lift a gallon of milk from the weight the pain was excruciating.You deserve to have a explianation and revision to repair this cable system repaired ASAP. .A  lawyer is your best friend at this point .That is how I finally got Peace and revision and doing much better. You deserve a life free of pain caused by revision.

I hope you have all that sustains you thru this journey and many prayers to a healing

path and a pain free mobile life in the future. 

Hugs

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Hope, The was probably the best reply I have ever read on here. Thank you for your always outstanding recommendations. 
    • Posted

Hi Steve ....I was lucky to have a professor for a surgeon at a huge teaching hospitol . I wanted to know every detail of my revision surgery and fortunate enough to have a surgeon who took the time to explain all the details. Three hip surgeries doesn't not make a expert but I was better informed and able to cope with a very serious revision, after a THR failed in a few months.

Sending  well wishes and hope your back to business as usual!🎣

• Posted

The top right side of the reply box has 4 small boxes across from your name. Click on the far right small box next to smile - icon,  with a black dot over mtns icon.

Wait for box to appear with you picture options for your photo stream or some can use BB code from  flicker or imgur.

go to PM if you have any questions....using the small envelope icon by my name then click on the envelope ...then wait for the private message box to show up .

Here's my revision showing clamp and wire system.

• Posted

Hope4Cure,

What was your approach with an attorney?  Did you discuss the actual Surgeon, the hospital and/or the brand put he/she chose?  My first conference call is today at 4pm CST U.S.A. 

Thank You,

Judy

• Posted

Hi Judy

Are you having a problem with the cerclage tension wires causing problems?

• Posted

Hi Vicky, it had been a year since my LHTR. My former replacement lasted 21 years and came loose and I had some fur none loss,so they had to put an implant and a couple of her late wires that look like o rings. I had pain , like a tight band about 3 inches above my knee and the other very localized pain around 1 inch above my knee. After doing physio and a lot of massages I no longer have the pain but the feeling of tightness persists. I am learning to live with it. I have to close my eyes and visualize my quads and glutes and block the tightness on my leg. As long as I can walk and my leg stays attached I am content. The pain will go down but if it is very acute and painful, let your Dr know just to make sure it is not pinching or touching a nerve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.