Pain from chronic pancreatitus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitus in may of 2014. I was hospitalized again July of this year for 4 days. Since then I have been careful with my diet and dropped some weight. Even though I have beenough watching my diet closely the last couple of weeks I have some pain that isn't really intense like a full blown attack but is persistent . I am unsure weather to think it is just still inflamation or something more. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Rick - I think once you have an attack, there's always residual pain that wanes in and out. You've been diligent about your diet and as long as you keep the fat on the very low side and no alcohol, you should be ok. Do you have any fever or vomiting? 

You might want to get checked anyway. They can run a blood draw and test two different areas to see if your panreas is behaving. 

My only suggestion is to make sure you stay away from alcohol. That is extremely important. Alcohol is a demon to the pancreas.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

• Posted

I've been diagnosed with cp as well (although the consultant isn't 100% sure that's what it is although I have persistent inflammation of my pancreas). I'm very careful with my diet yet I still get pain like you occasionally. I also get tired very easily. My initial attack was in May this year so it's early days. I would say the very low fat diet and plenty of water (absolutely NO alcohol) is really helping me so I would carry on with that if I were you. The pancreas takes allow to heal - sometimes it never does.

• Posted

I have Chronic Pancreatitis, I have had it for about 5 years, I had the Whipple Surgery in 2014, no cancer but the head was calcified. After the 10 hour surgery, I still have pain 24/7.....the Dr said I have 2 Options, 1 take out the rest of the pancreas and be a diabetic for life and no guarantee the pain would uld go away or 2 manage the pain with pain pills, patches etc. 3 different Drs recommeded option 2, so that's what I'' going to do.

Don't do the Whipple and unless it is completly necessary, it is a tough surgery and long recovery, 6 mos to a year. My pain is not as bad as a full blown attack but it does effect dailey life, I'm 50 and have a full time job, wife and kids so I have to work, and taking the meds for the pain is really the only way I can do it.

If you don't have a good pain dr, find one. Also, you can have pain and your blood work show normal, I can be having a full blown attack and my lab results show my Lipase and Amylese levels to be normal. 

If you have any questions regarding pancreatitis, just ask and I'll try and help.

Regards

Rick

• Posted

Rick,

Thanks you for taking the time to respond and willingness to help.

Mine started in June of 2014 after gall bladder surgery 1 month prior. Hospitalized for 22 days, two thirds of my pancreas liquefied. After two months surgery to drain the fluid. After recovery everything has been pretty good until July of this year. 4 days back in hospital. Calmed down until my follow up appointment in September. Cat scan was ok but blood tests showed lipase level up. Got that down but the mon9since I have had this pain about a 3 from 1 to 10. I can function with the pain barely but can't eat squat! Wonderingvartsen if I should go back to Dr? They aren't all that helpfull

Thanks again

• Posted

Ican tell you from experience that there doesn't seem like many Dr's know much about panreatitis........in 2010 they said the pain in my stomach and back was my gall bladder, no gall stones but they said it was only working about 25%.....they removed it and it did not fix the problem. I wasted about 2 yrs of appts,  cat scans etc.....when it was acute pancreatitis. It finally turned to chronic, the head was calcified which is why the whipple was done.

I dont each much, about once a day, I've lost about 35 lbs, I hate boost, ensure...etc. I will tell you to try Carnation Instant Breakfast....it has same protein as Ensure and boost and taste a hell of a lot better. You mix it with milk, it can be found in cereal isle at Walmart and most grocery stores. It's about $6 for 10 packets..... 

Hopefully your pain doesn't get worse, try to hang in there

Rick

• Posted

One should always check with a physician and perhaps grading your pain on a scale of 1-10 can help you decide how serious it is. I think discomfort is normal, we have good days and bad, but again grade your pain, then decide your course of treatment, last thing you want or need is a bad flare up and hospitalization.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.