Pain from costochondritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 6 weeks ago after several visits to a n e thinking I was having an heart attack but all tests came back clear through this I have also been having anxiety and panic attacks due to thinking I was dying I was finally put on tramadol for the pain aswell as naproxin and sertraline to help with the anxiety but at the min im having a massive flare up of this horrible condition and nothing is taking away the pain ive been unable to do the usual daily things the pain is horrendous does anyone else suffer like this and if so can you recommend anything for the pain thankyou

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It is horrible. I've had it since March 2015 when was taken from work to the ER.

Took 10 months with numerous tests and doctors to finally get answers.

I strongly recommend a chiropractor. With the ultrasound therapy and tens unit, was able to finally get relief. I still have an occasional sharp pain but mainly just an ache now.

• Posted

Hello with

This condition did it affect your breathing ?

And did you feel like it was a heart condition ?

• Posted

Hello ! I too seem to have this whatever it is.

Did you have pain when deep breathing which

Affected your breathing ? Pain in ribs ? Ribs that

Cracked ? Does this condition feel heart related ? I have had ekg and chest x ray , blood tests etc. so tired of feeling panicky . Three years it's been . Any help offered is greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hello . Did it ever feel like your heart was doing flip f

Flops ? With this condition ? It brings on such

Weird symptoms . For me it goes away and then

Comes back causing anxiety . Hope you

Are managing .

• Posted

Hi yeh it does its really scary ive just got over a really bad flare up which lasted over a week when im bad im convinced im dying im currently having counselling due to anxiety and panic attacks with this im also on tramadol which dont really due much to be honest ive also tried oramorph n various other painkillers but they just make me sick ive now been.reffered to the pain clinic ive got an appointment tomorrow but I live in fear of this flaring up again how long have you had this x
    • Posted

I have had 3 years . My doctor never officially said this condition but I have had heart test and chest X-ray etc . My last stop is the rheumatologist.

They ordeeed blood work . I have to go back

To them . No one seems to know what this is

• Posted

These doctors have no clue which is scary as well . At least you were told what this is . Today my

Heart felt like it was doing flip flops in chest and

When you get stressed it makes it worse . What

The hell is

This ? Can it be cured? Is it life threatening ?

I have found more relief on this site than at any

Doctor's office .

• Posted

Its a really good site I was lucky then in a way as I was told what it was after about 4 weeks at 1st I was told it was just anxiety and panic attacks but I was in so much pain I kept going back to my gp as I was convinced I was having an heart attack but all.the tests came back clear its really horrible n stress does make it worse I find it uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time n when it really starts to hurt I start panicking so it gets even worse its a vicious circle x
    • Posted

Did they explain. The flip flop heart feeling ? Like

What causes that ? My ribs also hurt and pop

When massaged at times. Then mysteriously it

Disappears , and just when I think I am

Over this it reappears .

• Posted

When I have bad panic attack the heart can palpitate, its a very common with anxiety.
    • Posted

That's what happens to me And makes this even scarier on top of

Things .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.