pain from stitches

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help reassure me that this is normal?

I'm 10 days post op from hysterectomy and prolapse repair.  My hysterectomy was started vaginally but because they found a large fibroid it had to be continued abdominally. I had to have 2 pints blood transfusion and a stent in the euretha which will stay in temporary for 4 weeks as a precaution from scar tissue damage. I also had a posterior prolapse repair.  All in all I am still so sore and feel quite battered, which I kind of do expect as it's early days I know, but what I am not sure about is the pain from the internal stitches down below, a couple of which are quite long and hanging out.  Is this normal? They really hurt when I am sitting down and also each time I wipe myself when I go to the toilet.  I also get sharp twinges from them from time to time.  It's really getting me down now as I'm so sore all round. The consultant did say that they are dissolvable stitches so I'm hoping they will come out soon.  I also have a constant tight tummy that never seems to let up even when resting.  The abdominal scar is healing well. Is this the same for anyone else? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and an anterior and posterior repair on May 4th, I also had a sacrospinous fixation (google it, I had to!). 

At six weeks I still had loads of stitches, some were pulling and felt tight, and there were really long ones which felt like hard nylon fishing thread! I did see my surgeon at 7 weeks and she released some and possibly trimmed the long ones. They felt about an inch or two long!

I'm now 14 weeks post surgery and still have internal twinges and can feel stitches in the posterior repair. I'm amazed how long some of them are taking to dissolve! I'm due to see the surgeon again on September 23rd, she didn't want to see me before then, suggesting it is quite normal for some stitches to still be present. I now know that she cannot assess whether the repairs have been successful until all the healing is complete. 

My decision for surgery was to hopefully stop stress incontinence, until all is healed it's hard to know if the surgery had helped. 

I'm so impatient and so so want a positive result. 

You are still in the very early stages of recovery and healing, and whilst I am not in any way a professional your symptoms sound normal at this stage. 

If in any doubt, or the pain and discomfort worsen do phone your doctor, hospital, surgeon. I phoned a few times and they were always so kind, helpful and reassuring. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Sheila. I did google sacrospinous fixation and that explains a lot. Thank you so much. I'm due to see the consultant again next week so will ask him more about it then but it's reassuring to know it's not unusual to have these thick stitches protruding a bit.  It's just a bit all consuming at the moment with little relief.  I also feel I'm going to burst out my skin with the whole tightness across my tummy. I want to fast forward a week or two! Hope your surgery brings great results for you when all your healing is done.  

• Posted

Oh I hate to hear this....

I had my op on the 10th.... no long stitches that I have seen ...my stitching was inside...wound held closed by the steri-stips that come off Friday.... I do feel the constant tightness and stinking around the incision....i was also hurting when i sit down but now i make sure i am leaning back....ck up on the 30th will update then....

I am so ready to feel normal again...i just thank God that I am alive!

• Posted

N I forgot to say that I had a partial abdominal hysterectomy keeping my ovaries.... uterus too large for vaginal or lap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.