Pain from torn cartilage.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was disagnosed with a torn cartiliage and arthritis in my right knee back in March.My job involves standing all day most day and a lot of walking around.I feel better moving around than I do sitting too long as I stiffen up.I have to wait another 5 weeks before I see my consultant but I am noticing more an more that I am in constant pain through out the night.I don't sleep all night but I am waking up every hr with a very heavy feeling and pain in my knee and it feels very uncomfortable when I try and turn over.Generally when I have got home from work and relaxed I try and get up stairs I can really struggle quite a lot.My knee can still hurt me when I get out of bed the next morning.They might decide to try arthroscopy surgery.Is this the answer or will it get better on its own.I tried physio but it didn't help.

Thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The arthroscopy will let them see if there is anything lose/floating around, and depending how bad the tear as to trim it or repair it and were abouts your tear is as not all of the cartilage has a blood supply. Have you tried using an support while at work?
    • Posted

I have tried a tubi grip bandage but it was too tight and I couldn't bend my knee which was no good.I had an MRI scan earlier in the year and that is when they diagnosed the tear.Have you had an arthroscopy procedure yourself? I am not sure if I want this done but I don't know what else to try.
    • Posted

You can get different sized tubi grips (which I only found out recently). No I haven't but when I injured my knee my consultant said it might be a possibility. 17 months on and still having trouble with my knee, waiting for my GP to refer me back to my consultant. When you see your consultant don't let them fob you off. You now your body. I feel there is something still not tight with my knee.
  • Posted

Must probably need a scoping, especially if something is torn.  Before my LTKR, I had four scopes, two each side for both femoral condyle and meniscus tears.  Pain gone.  However, for me, bone-on-bone pain appeared in later years.  This was resolved for over a decade by SynVisc shots...kind of like "oiling" the knee.  If successful, one series of shots can last up to a year.  Very effective...at least for me.  Start with the scope.  They can't tell what's really wrong from an-x-ray or MRI.  Typically, they have to go in to see what's wrong.  Recovery from a simple tear is usually very fast. 
    • Posted

When you say fast recovery my consultant told me that I would be walking the next day and be recovered in about 2 weeks.Does this sound correct?
    • Posted

Thursday: I walked out of the surgical facility with a cane.  I spent the three-day weekend icing.  I was back at work on Monday.  Then again, that's just me and I have a desk job.  Still a bit painful...kind of.  Kept ice on it a lot of the time. Little to no rehab.  But...

Everyone's different and you have no idea going in how extensive the surgery will be or how your recovery will go.  Two weeks?  Yeah...doable.  If it's a simple tear you could be fully functional in less than a week.  Again, it's all very personal.  I remember going in for a scoping for a meniscus tear and it ended up being the whole femoral condyle.  Again...did not change my recovery but you just never know.

Except for a TKR, I think you will find people reporting quick recovery times from scopes.  A month after each of my four, it's like they never happened.  However, a TKR is a completely, totally different animal...

• Posted

There is nothing to say that this will definitely be done but it could be discussed at the end of July.I don't even know how long I would have to wait to get it done but at least I think it is done as day surgery.
    • Posted

Yup.  In and out.  Don't live with the pain.  If it can be repaired, get it done.
    • Posted

You probably get quick treatment.We have a long wait sometimes but everything is meant to be done within an 18 week rule from the first referral.
  • Posted

I had arthroscopies and yes, I was recovered in two weeks. But....it will depend what they find, and I didn't have anything torn.

Worth a try, I'd say, but in no way is an arthroscopy an alternative to a knee replacement. I waited ten years (far too long) and wish now that I'd had the replacement much earlier.

By the way, night pain is one of the criteria for surgery, I think. It certainly sounds as if you need something done.

Good luck and all the best

• Posted

Not sure why it was moderated so I thought I would try again.I wanted to ask if pain in the front of your leg below your knee is normal with knee problems as I have got that now as I am laying on the settee.
    • Posted

I did wonder lol, so I'm glad you tried again! Actually I had pain everywhere in my leg at various times, so I would say pain below the knee is not unusual. Drove me crazy actually, sometimes!

I do hope you get a good consultation and some action taken, I know how exhausting constant pain can be sad

• Posted

Hi Teresa, I am 50 and my knee started giving me problems 6 years ago. I was sent for x-rays, MRI, physio over a period of 5 years and then decided to do an arthroscopy​. I had pain mainly on inner side of knee but would radiate over whole knee and the back would be very sore. I did not sleep well, restricted in work and homelife was hard.The scope was to fix a meniscious tear, clean the knee and investigate other damage. After the scope I was able to walk out but to rest for 3 days then back to work. The results of my scope showed extensive wear and tear, bone on bone arthritus and coud only be rectified by a total knee replacement. my surgeon told me the scope was not a success and it wasn't. I was in more pain after and got worse until I was on high doses of morphine and could not do anything. I had my TKR 14 weks ago and best thing ever. I am still recovering but no bone on bone pain and looking forward to things i have been unable to do for so long. Tke care, s
    • Posted

Good to hear from you Sue and glad that your recovery is going well.I am 46 and my knee has caused me pain for well over a year.My main point of pain is also in the inside of the right knee.It can go into my thigh aswell so is that quite normal?I don't want it done and be worse off but you don't know this until you try it.I feel that i will also suffer more if i don't try something.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa, when I got tired the pain would radiate all over my leg, think it was the muscles being tired. I agree you need to try all avenues before having a tkr. My consultant was very honest with me and said the arothscopy may not work but it had to be done before I could be considered for anything else. He did come to me in recovery and said my knee was in a very bad way inside and have to wait and see. I hope I am not being too negative but unfortunatley it did not work for me but has given other people years before needing a tkr. On the positive side my tkr so far is sucessful and i hope when i get the other knee done it will be as sucessful. One weee tip try and exercise your leg muscles round the knee, google knee exercise, they will help strengthen your knee and help recovery after whichever surger you need. Best wishes and keep me posted what you get done. XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.