Pain has returned :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had an awful ankle sprain in April of 2018, it was a grade-2 sprain. The pain reduced a lot since January of this year and even swelling kept on decreasing. I had few seconds pain here and there but it was very minor. But now since few days, if I go for walking at the park I get a lot of pain. Cycling is fine and I was advised to start running by my physio months ago. So does this pain stay forever or is there some permanent solution?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope we get some feedback on this issue. I am having the same issue, but with my broken right ankle. Had to have the surgery and plates and screws are still in there. I am experiencing newer pains and swelling as well. A lot of it. I thought maybe it was due to work, but if thats the case, then it would never have ever stopped hurting because I do the same work i e been doing. Also, get the numbness and tingling; mostly numbness a lot too.. My surgery was in February of 2018. It just seems like I should be doing way better. Is it maybe due to the fact that the hardware is still inside me? Also, is it too late to take it out? I am 50. Would the bone be too weak without it?

• Posted

I think you should visit an orthopedic ASAP. I gotta say ankle injuries are the worst and doctors act like it's not a big deal. 😦

• Posted

my suggestion is to go back to the physio and get them to look at everything up the chain... hip mobility and flexion, knee movements etc. The actual issue might be that something else is out because when you have a limp or have to adjust your walking at all even for a short time, this throws the rest of your leg out.

If your physio is the sort who does a ten minute assessment and then puts you on machines for the rest of the session, find a hands on physio. I made the switch and the difference is amazing.

Not only is the progress been amazing, I've also learnt a lot more about my body and am more aware of what I am doing/how it affects everything.

• Posted

My physio or doc can't find any problem and all they advise is to keep walking and exercising even if it sometimes hurts. I think there's some problem in the knee or hip mobility which probably stayed from while I was limping last year.

• Posted

Did you go from non/partial weight bearing when pain and swelling got worse? This would be a big reason and why cycling doesn't hurt as much. It will improve but don't overdo the weight bearing.

x

• Posted

sorry, what I mean is, was there a change to your weight bearing when your symptoms got worse? I.E. from non weight bearing to partial, or partial to full? Cycling is partial weight bearing, walking is full. Or did you increase anything since as walking full weight bearing when the pain increased? If yes to any of these, ease back to what you were doing before, let symptoms reduce then slowly increase. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Honestly, it sounds like you've over used it. Rest it for a while than slowly increase your mobility.

• Posted

I wonder if it might be worth talking to your physio about a brace, in the UK there is a brace called the momentum offloading brace in the United States there is a brace I believe Called the IDEO. If you are going to be left with permanent pain then this could be a solution. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.