Pain has returned

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI, just an update of where i am at the moment. Started taking Elleste Duet Conti at the start of June 2018 after suffering for nearly 2 & a half years with the most excrutiating joint pains. After being on these tablets for just 2 weeks I was back to my old self. Amazing!

However, i went for a check up with my gp at the end of February, she was happy for me to continue on the hrt tablets, i was happy. she also prescribed me Lymecycline antibiotic for a really bad bout of rosacea.

The pharmacy did not have Ellest Duet Conti in stock, so I was given an alternative hrt tablet, it was half the strength but i was told to take 2 a day instead of the normal one dose. So I started to take these new hrt tablets, along with the antibiotics. At this time I had also managed to catch a really heavy head cold. Within 6 days of taking these new tablets & the antibiotics and i was generally feeling awful, my symptoms began again 😦 pains down the front of my leg, really deep hip pain, just like before I Started the hrt tablets in June. I did a bit of research & found that some women can react to having antibiotics while on hrt, so I decided to stop taking the antibiotic. I also stopped taking the alternative hrt tablets (kliovance) and am using my last months worth of Ellest. I cant help being tearful everyday as the thought of being in this much pain again for another lengthy period is so upsetting to me. If anyone else has been in this situation, has your pain gone away after a brief spell of returning? Or, has anyone else been affected by antibiotics? I am very interested in hearing if anyone else has had this happen.

As for the hrt tablets, there is still no Ellest Duet Conti in stock and the gp has now prescribed me Kliofem, same make up as the Ellese apparantley. But I'm at the point of now thinking whats the point of taking the hrt if im going to continue to be in pain? Any thoughts on any of my ramblings would be helpful for me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. It is amazing to find something that actually works- to me it can be a proof that it is in fact hormones making us feeling that way. I only took BC for about a year and many symptoms got better but there was other things that bothered me , so I stopped. For sometime after-months, I felt good. I still remember that summer and fall that felt so normal- I miss it!

I am sorry I cannot give any advise really. I am just hoping you will be able to get back on the hrt that actually helped.

• Posted

I am worried that my 9 months of being completley pain free, totally mobile, non dependant on my husband, and just being me will be a distant memory. I am trying to think positively about the future but its difficult as I feel ive gone backwards.

• Posted

Don't give up! Keep trying to fix this and don't hesitate to go back to your doctor and demand taking the hrt that works for you. Try to improve your gut health because antibiotics mess with that and lately they have been saying that gut health is super important for general well being. Don't forget that even if no hrt works again, this is supposed to be a phase and it should pass. Don't give up... try to stay strong and positive. You know what works for you and you have seen it is possible. You will be you again! Sending you positive energy!

• Posted

hi rachel - i dont know where you are in your journey...peri, post? but i also suffer from Rosacea & just recently as december have dibilitating joint pain. i started peri @ 52 lost my period @ 55, i am now 62 & my symptoms really ramped up 3 years ago, never been on HRT, but my aches & pains and burning are so bad that i am tempted to go in HrT at 62! i am sorry you are feeling so lousy, but i am just not sure what the answer is for our chosen group of severe menopause sufferers - Be well!

• Posted

Hi debra16694, I'm peri so they tell me at the surgery, although im not 100% sure. I had an operation to remove the line of my womb nearly 20 years ago & never had another period since then. My pain came about in my hip pretty suddenly one day, since then everything got worse, hips, legs,elbow, index fingers, front of foot. After 2 & a half years of suffering with having gone to every chiropractor, natural healing therapies etc, I happened to see an australian physio as my one was off sick. He jad no idea what was wrong with me as all my muscle tests he did with me were fine. He referred me to a consultant that he swears by. I went to see this guy, thinking here we go again. He did all the muscle tests with me again stating there was nothing wrong with the strength in my muscles. He actually listened to everything I said to him for just over an hour. He told me straight, Its your hormones! He told me he sees so many ladies who are fit as a fiddle one day and then wake up the next day feeling like a 90 year old. He told me to go back to the GP & demand a blood test for the menopause. I did that & my oestrogen levels were so low that my GP said I needed to go on the hrt. We had the risk discussion but I told him I wanted to go on it straight away, I had nothing to loose. As I said in my previous post within 2 weeks I was back to my old self.

Its only now that Ive tried another brand of hrt tablet at the same time as taking the antibiotis that im having the exact pains back again.

Im sorry you feel so bad with your pains, all I can tell you from my own experience is that you have nothing to loose by trying the hrt & you may feel like youre back to being you like i did. I wish you well while we're all struggling this stage of our lives.

• Posted

hi Rachel,

some antibiotics are contraindicated while you are taking hrt. You might want to check, just to be sure.

• Posted

hi lydia2311, I did check this yesterday and didnt really come up with anything I didnt already knew. I did find out though if you were trying for a child (which im definatley not!) then you need to allow at least 2 whole months off of tetrycycline (which my lymecycline comes under) if you want any chance of conceiving a healthy child. I found this this very interesting. If it can have such an affect on conception, then I'm sure it can probably have an effect on my hrt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.