pain in abdomen and back for 6 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having pain in my right lower abdomen for a number of weeks. It can range from a dull ache to a sharp pain the moves around from just to the right of my belly button and into my side and back.  I have been feeling nausous and dizzy but not sure if this is anxiety as I'm thinking about it too much.

Ive been been to the doctor a number of times and they gave me tablets for gastritis which didn't help and caused me to have an upset stomach. I was also given antibiotics for a UTI which again didn't help. 

I keep googling what it could be and have now manged to convince myself that it's something bad.

I paid for a private abdominal ultrasound scan in November which was clear. I asked them to check my ovaries. They couldn't see my left ovary but the doctor didn't seem too worried about this. The right one was fine. 

The past few days I have had terrible lower back pain and woke yesterday with flu like symptoms which are making the pain in my side worse. 

I'm never ill and this is really getting me down. I can't see what could cause pain for this long and it's scaring me. 

My cousins wife recently passed away from ovarian cancer which was caught too late. I am really worried and can't stop thinking the worst. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Go back to Dr again, ask to see a different one in your practice, sometimes they will approach things differently, ask them to reexamine results of 
    • Posted

The ultrasound again. Keep questioning, ask for stronger painkillers if needed. Good luck let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Crickey!

This sounds like a cyst to me.

Have you had your gall bladder checked? 

Any chance of stones? 

But in all it sounds like a cyst. The fact that they couldn't see your left ovary, does spell cause for concern to me.

If the private hospital, is just out for getting money off their patients, then I suggest you go back to your GP and demand an ultra sound at your hospital. I wouldn't leave this. I've had all those symptoms myself, when I had an ovarian cyst

And it was a aggressive type with the teeth!!

They said I was lucky it hadn't turned cancerous!

I was only 19 at the time too. Can you imagine how I felt! 

I'm 51 now it still scares me when I think about it.

I've had three kids with one ovary. All grown up now. 

But you get back and see your GP for sure.

God bless let me know what happens. Happy new year to you too. 🐥✨

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I have another appointment

Tuesday so hopefully keep on till I get some answers. Happy new year to you x

• Posted

Hiya

Was it an external

Scan or

A

Transvaginal scan. It is the latter you need. And to just they can't see one and leave it is not on xx

• Posted

It was an external scan. It was to look at my abdomen and gall bladder originally but when they said it was all clear I asked them to check my ovaries. I hadn't drunk enough water so this could be why they were having trouble seeing it. The doctor the right one was fine and said if there was a cyst on the left thend it would've large enough to show up so therefore wasn't worried. 
  • Posted

Just before being diagnosed with a cyst, doctors thought I had diverticulitis. Diverticulitis can only be confirmed with a CT scan. I heard that DV can also be quite painful. Keep us posted!
  • Posted

Request a transvaginal scan hun as it will show your ovaries clearly. I had a ultrasound and all it showed up was a mass of fluid and there thought I had pelvic inflammatory disease which is caused by STD's and I told them no chance of me having it!! But when I finally had a transvaginal scan it showed up a cyst that they then thought was a dermoid. But couldn't say wether was in or on my right ovary. It did turn out to be a Dermoid cyst. But if you don't feel right keep pushing for answers hun cuz I was wrongly diagnosed several times!! Which led to me going from April - October and then having to have open surgery right across my lower stomach to remove a 14cm dermoid cyst.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely request a transvaginal scan. It's good to have feedback from people who have been through similar issues. It's hard not to think the worst isn't it. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.