Pain in abdomine from Adhesion after Hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I had a complete abdominal Hysterectomy in Jan 16 all was good up until about 8 weeks ago I started having a really bad pain in what I can only describe as my colon (large) it felt like soething was either in it or on  it and was worse with walking I was very constipated and could not even pass gas ended up in A & E which was of no use sent away have had a colonoscopy which was clear and an ultrasound which was clear doctor said its more than likely an adhesion but they dont do anything or it other than try and manage the pain I am at the end of my tether taking loads of fiybogel to ttry and keep the bowel moving but its not proving easy and this is making the pain worse anyone any advice or anyone else suffered this. thanks Geri

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I too started experiencing pain about 6 months out from surgery. It felt exactly like the pain pre-op. The doctor guessed it was adhesions due to endometriosis since I had such a bad case. He took me off estridol & put me on progesterone, telling me it would take about four weeks for the pain to mostly go away. He was right. I have since gone completely off HRT. Sure the hot flashes aren't pleasant, but I feel much better both physically & emotionally.

I appreciated the fact that he told it to me straight before and after surgery. Hysterectomies don't always completely fix the problem, especially with bad cases of endometriosis, because in some instances estrogen and HRT can continue to "feed" the disease.

• Posted

Good post. There was a 32yr old who's Dr. was doing a good job of trying to convince her to have a hysterectomy to cure endo & the pain. In my mind I could read into it that the Dr. couldn't be bothered trying to manage her condition instead of radical surgery. All I could think was that doesn't she realize that so many girls end up with worse probs down the track, than the reason for the surgery. I was hoping she would find posts like the last 2 I've just read! I do understand that in the case of cancer and other things, that there is no choice so for some they do get a good outcome. But for lots it's a disaster.

• Posted

Thanks. My doctor held off surgery until the pain was unmanageable. I am 41 and it's been a year since surgery. As I said, I am feeling much better, but I did have to come to the realization that surgery didn't lead me to perfect health and there are side effects - mood swings, hot flashes, different metabolism, vaginal dryness, and I still have pain. However, for me, the hysterectomy was a blessing. I was living at a constant pain level of 7 with meds for two years. It was affecting my ability to participate in daily life. Now, I'm at an occasional pain level of 2-4. I can function, and function well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.