Pain in ankle, 1 year after ORIF

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a trimalleolar break in my ankle in April 16. It was repaired with a plate and screws on the outside and 2 pins on the inside.

After a few months of problems caused by infection in the outside scar everything has been fine and the docs have always assured me that the bones were healing well.

I was given the ok to carry on as normal with regards excercise and have been running, playing squash etc regularly since September 16 which has sometimes caused aches but not any real pain.

After using the treadmill this week though I've been in real pain on the inside of my ankle where the pins are. an x-ray hasn't shown anything untoward but I can barely put any pressure on it - especially in the mornings.

Has anyone had anything similar? Will it ease off with rest? I'm already on the waiting list to have the metal work removed due to the infections but will this help with pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just ice it and stay away from the treadmill for a week or so. I don't think that it is anything to worry about. However after surgeries like yours on mine arthritis can develop.

• Posted

Thanks Bridg - sound advice, hopefully I've just been overdoing it and rest will fix it!

• Posted

I was in an auto accident last June 2016. I was in and out of nursing facilities because of reoccurring infections. The doctor took out all the metal finally and put me in a cast. My foot actually started to feel pretty good. But the cast was rubbing due to swelling and causing an infection. So he took the cast off and inserted one plate so my foot would grow straight. That was on Superbowl Sunday. I was sent home, the wound is almost healed but I cannot stand on that foot let alone walk. I asked the doctor if he was going to take the plate out in the future and he said he had no plans to do so. It hurts so much with that plate in it I don't know if i will ever walk again. So for now, Im hoping the bone grows more and maybe, just maybe get the plate out. It hurts so when I step on it. So yes! I'm having problems. At one point I could walk 100 ft in the nursing home with a walker. Now I cant walk at all.

• Posted

It's so frustrating isn't it - having been on the mend and now struggling again! Good luck with your recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.