PAIN IN ANKLE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Week 7 since surgery. Appt 2jund hopefully to get NWB cast off and get LWB Boot? Pain had been bad since last Friday because I have tried to reduce pain killers. (codeine) but cone Monday I couldn't do it any more so introduce them again but only twice a day and not 4, which did help. Today I decided to go down stairs for first time in 3 weeks, only dwn for about 2hrs and God the pain!!! Because my foot was down toes blue and throbing. The plates were high on my alert radar as they were so painful. I cN feel them so much lately and it's horrible. I'm so worried that they have moved or screws are coming out.... Not that I have done anything for this to happen. Think it may be because of swelling but I'm so anxious and stressed about this. If I have to have another operation I think I would loose the plot. I know I'm going to find out in just 2 days but it's so frightening and I'm worried sick... My head is pumping through the stress. S

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry. What exactly did you break and what did they do to it? But honestly Tylenol helped me more than prescription percocet

• Posted

Feeling the plate and pain there is more common than you think. I will have my plate removed next week as it bothers me and limits ROM. Hang in there, rest , ice and elevate. I'm sure it was just doing too much which happens to all of us then we suffer fir a few days. The dark purple redness in foot when down is also completely normal. I still get it at 51/2 months.

Try to not stress too much , you'll drive yourself crazy. I hope it feels better soon!

Margie

• Posted

Dear Sandra

I know how awful it isn't to have the uncertainty caused by waiting so I do feel for you.

All the best Richard

• Posted

Sandra, I went from 4 pain pills/day down to 0 by the 3rd week after surgery. However at the end of the day if my ankle is feeling problematic or I can't sleep I will take another pain pill to help me sleep at night occasionally. Pain is a very personal thing and no one can dictate to you how much you should take or not take. However it is a great indication to tell you how quickly you are healing. It's so important to keep your doctor apprised of what's going on so you don't inadvertently re-injure yourself. Lucky for me I have great health insurance, and I had a nurse come into my home twice a week for the first three weeks after my surgery to see how I was doing and to assess me to report back to the doctor. Keep that foot elevated six inches above your heart to reduce swelling. Swelling is the one thing that will make you feel like you are not healing at all. I have a knee roller to get around with, what are you using? The knee roller there is great because it offers more stability and of coarse it keeps your knee elevated and like crutches where are your foot is hanging down. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi everyone. Thanks for your reply s. I am now in a boot, just over a week now. I'm able to take it off when resting and at night, but must put it on every time I'm walking with crutches. It's not comfortable and makes my foot feel very hot and sore. Swelling is there within minutes and takes ages to go down, so don't know where to put my foot while I'm resting as don't feel comfortable. I'm back on the ZAPAIN at night and sometimes I have to take during the day. Have my first physio on Wednesday, not looking forward to it, as I've been warned that the pain is bad during and after. 😢 😢 thought things would be a lot easier now, how mistaken was I. 😢 😢 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.