Pain in back after CT Scan w/ contrast

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had been given a CT Scan previously for pain (W/O Dye), and discovered nephrocalcinosis. I just had another CT done to test for Medullary Sponge Kidney, but this time had contrast (oral and injected). Nothing happened during the process, minus me feeling a tad bit light headed, but it has been roughly 10 hours now, and I've begun to experience mild pain in my back. It seems to be mostly in the left side , just around where the rib cage would end.

I do have anxiety problems, so it's possible my brain is playing games with me, but could the dye have caused damage, or even acute failure? I've drank at least 100oz of water since this morning, and I've been urinating with a level of normality. I've been off and on with feeling a bit tired as well.

I could definitely use some advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The same thing is happening to me.  Got my CT scan and about 4 hours later felt a pain in my lower left back.  Hours later it was really sore to touch the bottom left ribs.  They seem to be a bit better now but I still have a bunch of lower back pain,  It is going on 5 days now.  I almost wonder if my back muscles where really tight and the contrast dye made them relax.  I have annoying pain all over my back but mostly lower and also lower left rib side
  • Posted

I had an appointment today to do my CT scan with contrast dye through an I V for my kidney about 5 hours ago and I'm having a lots of pain in the back below my ribs cage. I have been drinking a lot of water and nothing is helping. This pain had me in tears and now I'm feeling tried and don't want to eat.

• Posted

Yes, the dye for CT scans effects the kidneys. I had 2 CT scans within a month due to a twisted small intestine. The dye is not good if you have CKD, which I do. They did extensive blood tests before each scan and determined the scan was important, which it was. Twisted intestine is no joke and extremely painful, sometimes requiring immediate surgery. I recovered without surgery, but my kidney function worsened. I'm taking another GFR, creatinine test this week. My nephrologist hopes they'll recover over the last 3 months. Plus, I could not eat or drink for 4 days with twisted intestine. That effected my kidneys too. So, you are not imagining your kidney pain, but if  you have healthy kidneys, they rebound and you should be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.