Pain in bicep, advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My right arm has started to really hurt, the pain has come on all of a sudden, there was no injury or overuse that I know of. it's all along the inside of the top of my arm, and the pain can be felt either side of the muscle. It is especially bad in the morning and can loosen up during the day but gets worse during rest. The pain kind of radiates to my shoulder and occasionally collar bone. It is really bad when raising my arm, for example just lifting a cereal bowl in the morning is a real effort as it hurts so much.

I have strangely had the same pain in the left arm last year for around 3 months, I ended up going to the doctors and he had no explanation or advice. I ended up treating it with heat and eventually it got better but it was very painful and a long process.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Could it be down to posture? Is it just a sprain? Also any advice on treating would be good, the deep heat isn't helping so far and it's early stages so I don't want to make things worse.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm really rather assuming you don't have a diagnosis of PMR - because that is the forum you have landed on. 

We have a form of autoimmune vasculitis that causes arthritic/rheumatic pain and while we often have bicep pain it is a part of a much broader picture. Not least, it is something that is quite unusual in under 50s.

And that is really about as much as I can say without knowing a lot more. Not that i can advise on relief of bicep pain if it isn't PMR.

• Posted

Eek very sorry, I thought I was posting in a muscle and joint forum, I don't know how I managed that. Is there a way I can move the post?
    • Posted

Don't need to apologise, it happens all the time!

I'll report it to the moderator as he can do it but it is the weekend so maybe nothing will happen until Monday. The easiest thing to do is just copy and paste your post into a more suitable forum - though don't ask me what! We ARE a muscle and joint forum - just a more specific one.

Your doc is the best person to ask about it really, possibly to ask for some physio. Or you could try something like Bowen therapy (google it) or an osteopath - it sounds as if you might have a back muscle issue that is affecting your shoulders but it's really impossible to say without proper examination. Hope it sorts itself out soon.

• Posted

This is similar to my situation. I started with pain in my right shoulder, radiating down my biceps, especially where the tendons attached to my shoulder and elbow. Hurt so bad that I couldn't raise my arm over my head. I iced it, heated it, took ibuprofen and never got much relief. Always the worst in the morning. Physicians suspected a torn rotator cuff even though I coundnt remember doing anything to cause an injury. X-rays and MRI showed some inflammation of tendons and bursa.

I began physical therapy which really didn't help much either. Then my left shoulder began to hurt, not quite as badly, but in the same places. Then my groin where the thigh muscle tendons attached and the back of my knees, too.

My dr ran blood test to eliminate Lupus and RA. He concluded PMR and put me on prednisone and almost immediately all my symptoms disappeared.

Don't know what your pain is due to, but it seems quite similar to my experience.

• Posted

I've moved the discussion to the Orthopaedic group. There is also a Muscle disorders group if you want to post a discussion in there as well.

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.