Pain in calf of leg after cast/splint was replaced with air cast for broken ankle that did require s

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 61 years old and on October 4, 2016 slipped outside putting my foot down on a wet railway tie. I broke my left ankle in 3 places and had surgery that night where a plate, bolts and many screws were inserted into 3 incisions. My leg was put in a splint. Two days ago the splint was removed along with the staples and I was fitted with an air boot. Since then, I have been experiencing throbbing pain in the calf muscle of the injured leg. Pain is quite a bit worse than I have been feeling. I have been elevating it day and night and bearing no weight on it at all.

Has anyone else had this happen?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The air boot give me pain to, the Dr said I didnt need to wear it if relaxing or sleeping. The hardware is keeping all on place.
    • Posted

I can take my aircast off while relaxing but need to keep it on at night. It sure feels good to have it off!!
  • Posted

Hi Karen

I broke my ankle Sept 7, and needed two incisions to insert screws. After op the worst pain was in my calf and it was very badly bruised, also shin was bruised, neither done in the original accident. Someone mentioned that it may be due to need to hold leg in brace to do op. I dont know if that is the case. It took over two weeks for pain to go. Ice helped. Its fine now. I was splinted for two weeks then stitches removed and I was put in Aircast boot.   Still NWB. Fracture clinic next week so hoping for progress.  Dont know if this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

It is so reassuring to hear from people that are going or have gone through the same thing as I am. I find I am not worrying as much so thank you for responding. My shin is terribly bruised and like you, the accident did not cause it. Last night I had a lot of pain on the top of my foot but calf pain was gone. I have to wear the boot to bed but my husband managed to wedge an ice pack in there which helped. I have been icing different areas all day today so hoping I will sleep tonight. Nights are the worst. The pain is always quite bad and I just can't get away from it. I keep telling myself "self, there is always tonight". Maybe tonight I will sleep. We have to have hope and something to look forward to; like a good night's sleep.

Good luck at your clinic appt. next week. I will hope for good news.

• Posted

Thank you for your good wishes Karen. Yes, it is reassuring and very helpful to hear other people describe their situations. I do hope your shin and calf pain subside. Not sleeping is the worst thing of all. Good luck. B 
  • Posted

Oh yes, at first the pain was shooting up the whole of my calf and thigh. My physical therapist said it is the sciatic nerve. After a month or so it will slow to a stop, and maybe occasionally after that. Good luck.
  • Posted

I found relief and was able to sleep!! Yahoo.

Interestingly enough, I was only in minimal pain throughout the day. Why was I suffering so much at night? What was I doing differently?. My husband and I could not figure it out. Finally at 1:30 am when the pain again was building, we realized that my leg was far more elevated when I was lying down. That was the only difference between day and night. We lessened the elevation by two pillows and thankfully after about 10 minutes the pain subsided and I felt glorious relief and finally fell asleep. I am so grateful. Let's see if it works tonight!!

Thank you again for all of your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.