Pain in chest when I swallow.... ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been a lurker on this site for a while before even signing up. I suffer from health anxiety and have since my mother passed away since I was around 19. I keep it semi under control by keeping busy. But sometimes it's hard.

Anyways, I've been having this issue for the past 2 and 1/2 months.

Whenever I eat and swallow food I get a pain in my chest on the left side. It's almost like if the food hits a sore spot in my esophagus. It's not a debilitating pain but it's there and I can definitely feel it.

I went to a gastro and he put me on PPIs for 2 months now and although the pain is not as bad as originally it's still there. Definitely not anywhere near gone. The doc feels it's esophagitis from acid reflux.

I am scheduled for an endoscopy.

My main question is, shouldn't the pain be gone completely by now from taking the PPIs for two months?

Also, can esophagitis cause pain just on one side of your chest when swallowing?

Of course like anyone I'm worried about the worse especially since the pain isn't gone after this long on PPIs...

I also want to add. I don't have any difficulty swallowing. It's strictly a pain I get in my chest towards the left side near the center.

I have also been to the ER and all heart related issues have been ruled out.

Hospital was the one that referred me to the gastro.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi TRJ

I sympathise with you as I also suffer health anxiety. I think I know what you are worried about and your symptoms are not typical of that at all . Your endoscopy will show what you need to know . I was diagnosed with a small Hiatas hernia which was causing pain in my chest and PPIs did nothing to stop it . 

You don’t mention your age ? Easier saidthan done but it’s very unlikely to be anything sinister so try not to worry . Anxiety will also cause multiple symptoms! 

Let us know how you get on.

Ps the endoscopy is a breeze , over quickly . 

• Posted

I’m not sure where you are based TRJ but in the UK they automatically biopsy for Hpyloriwhen the scope is down and usually give you the result of that in a few minutes They also did a second biopsy with me which panicked me a bit but all negative and normal practice apparently. 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm 36... Yes that was definitely my worry. Anxiety is crazy how it just always draws your mind to the worse case scenario.

• Posted

I’m not a doctor but the chances of you having anything sinister are incredibly remote . I just did a bit of research for you and in the Uk the incidence rate for your age is 85 people in 100, 000, and from what you say your symptoms don’t fit anyway .

I have been in your position with health anxiety and common sense can go out of the window and Google takes over . If I was a betting man I’d happily put my house on you not having anything sinister. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to look that up. I appreciate it. Yea, being that I'm so paranoid I had looked up some info on it and did see the really low rates/chances.

I have also read alot online about it taking people months to get over esophagitis pain. Which is what my Dr thinks I have and wants to confirm with the endoscopy.

I appreciate all your responses and time. It helps alot.

• Posted

Your doctor is an idiot for putting you on PPI’s , they don’t cure anything . Forgive him , he doesn’t know any better . Before you get the scope , tell them to check for H pylori, also if your stomach acid is low , and don’t let anyone tell you that there’s no such thing as low stomach acid . There is probably a sore spot in your esophagus , they will see that when the scope goes down . Don’t let them prescribe more Ppi’s . There are natural ways to get your stomach back in shape .
    • Posted

Thank you. I will ask him .. I'm not a fan of these meds.

• Posted

the endoscopy will show exactly what the state  of your esophagus is. Try taking gaviscon Advance, 10 mins after the 3 main meals and at bedtime. Thats what was I have been told to do after I stop my current dose of  ppi after 2 months (2x daily for a month and once daily for another month) My Barretts esophagus was cured after 3 months on previous dose of ppi and eating smaller meals, not eating 3 hours before bedtime and sleeping with my head elevated.  The current ppi dose is to cure my esophagus inflammation and hopefully my metaplastic cells in my stomach. 

• Posted

Thank you for the info. The PPIs have helped with the "acid burps" I use to get. That's what I called them anyways.

But that specific pain when I swallow is still unfortunately there. Better than when I started the PPI but not gone and still definitely noticable.

I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the test. At this point its right around the corner but I feel like the Dr should have probably just given me the endoscopy when I first came in. O well.

• Posted

This might sound like an odd question. And honestly idk if it's just in my head.

But I feel that if I eat yogurt regularly it reduces or almost eliminates the pain when eating regular meals.

Would that make sense to anyone?

• Posted

Yes, I eat half a small tub of natural skimmed yogurt as dressing on my salad everyday  and I will eat yoghurt with boiled potatoes or even use the yoghurt as a dip for crisps , etc.. I find it does reduce reflux from the food. I also drink a small prebiotic yogurt drink daily.  
    • Posted

Just curious. Why do you think this is? Because it coats the esophagus or something?

I thought it was just in my head. But good to hear it's something that does help.

• Posted

Probiotics are very powerful for gut health , a healthy gut is a basis for a healthy immune system. I actually make my own kefir from whole organic milk . Kefir has close to 60 probiotic bacteria whereas yoghurt only has between 6 or 8 . I drink about a quart a day , not only is it delicious , it also coats my esophagus and soothes my stomach . There are multiple videos on YouTube on how to make milk kefir , it’s very easy .
    • Posted

I was taking daily probiotics via regular yogert. I stopped because I thought I might have been over doing it. I would drink like 2 a day. I guess I'll get back on that after my endoscopy. Thanks again for the info.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

So just to update you. Just got back from endoscopy. Super easy. Basically just slept for about an HR. Didn't feel a thing and I don't remember anything.

So per routine they did do a few biopsy. I won't get results for 2 weeks. Dr said everything looked normal. The only thing they found was gastritis in my stomach which he also did a biopsy of because he thinks it might be bacterial.

But aside of that over all good news.

I'll update when I get my results from the biopsy.

I want this to be a reference for others when they are looking because all to often people never come back and give results.

• Posted

Thanks TRJ

I’m glad it was good news . As a fellow sufferer of health anxiety it’s difficult sometimes to see the wood from the trees . Now enjoy your life !

All the best Darren 

• Posted

Thank you for all the information and supportive words when I needed them. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.