Pain in coccyx following a fall

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Thursday 17th July (10 days ago), I slipped and fell down a short flight of stairs, landing on my bottom/lower back. It jarred it at the time but seemed ok. Over the next few days, the pain got worse and was sore whenever I stood up/ sat down, and sometimes when sat in certain positions with pressure on my coccyx. There is no visible bruising, as far as I can make out myself, anyhow. It's remained at about the same level of pain (5 out of 10) since then but because I barely notice it when standing, walking and lying down, I have been ignoring it.

I rode my bike today, which was immediately uncomfortable, but as I had things to do and no alternative form of transport, ignored it as it was still far from incapaciating. Then I had to emergency brake when a car pulled out without indicating... It now hurts quite a bit more, even when just sitting down, but it's a constant ache rather than a sharp pain.

Should I go to the doctor about it? Would this be considered urgent? Having read up about it, it seems all will be suggested is I take painkillers.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anytime you feel bad pain, it's always good to have it checked out by a Dr.

I feel for your pain. Try icing. I know it's uncomfortable but ice relieves inflamation.

(Prescription )Pain Killers are addictive if they have narcotics. Check with a Dr. first.

• Posted

You're right, I'll see about getting an appointment tomorrow. I will try icing when I get home, I guess it won't be so bad in this currently muggy climate!

• Posted

hi mary jane

if used for for moderate to severe pain. Tramadol and morphine are among the most notable ones if you use them correctly you do not have to get addicted to narcotics  i am on the morphine due to an hip revision been on that and parocetomol for 11 weeks and not got addicted if ppl have to take them as i have dosent mean you are addicted plus i will be on one or the other for much longer too as i have been paralised for foot drop the pain is so bad my dr as told me i will never come of the morphine

i can only take a dose of half a teaspoon 3 times a day.i agree if you get ppl abusing it then its there fault you take it as your dr perscibes and yes there are ppl out there that go taking it like water or tablet form i cant take tramadol. please dont take offence by thinking im been funny towards you but there is a correct way to take any tablets wether narcotics oral or not sorry but had to tell you not every one is like  ppl taking them to get addicted to them.this is there own doing.

christine 

• Posted

hi rhubarb crumble

i did hit the same place as you 7 yrs ago no bruising just a tinny graze i fell down from top to bottom hitting every step like i was on a sledge they were stone stairs lucky it was carpeted i could have gone face downwards and made a really mess on myself got up when i got to the bottom i was stiff  and in pain for months   but i didnt go to the dr's even though the pain was bad but every so often i got like a graze then it turned into a small scab this is when i couldnt sit on it i bought a rubber ring with the hole in the middle  put it into a pillow case on where i hit it my bum was free of were i caught it i used to take a couple of pain killers when it got really painfull i sat in the ring then all of a sudden its gone completly about 5 months ago

had it all them yrs so you can do what i did or go to your dr but he will only either tell you go to hospital or give you pain killers you could try the way i have buy a rubber ring you can buy them of the net very cheap i had an hospital appointment the same day for somthing else but wouldnt give in but it was hurting for months then this graze kept appearing turning to a funny scab then after all them yrs of suffering it as just gone like that about 5 months since well better touch wood now it dosent come back as this is the longest ive gone without the flare up of the graze and that scab this was how it used to start...took as long as 6 weeks to get shut of the scab i got some mankuri honey put a dressing on it im sure it was that what healed it up that was 5 months since and ive still got it just in case it was a nurse that got it for me from hospital she was a sister i new its in a tube but your dr can i  give you some you only change it once a week and dont touch it with your hands use a sterile knife to spread a tinny bit on it lasts ages.she got some special dressings with it this only aply if you get what i did.

good luck keep us posted how you get on

take care.

christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.