Pain in cold weather

Posted , 16 users are following.

Can I ask does anyone else find that pain gets worse in old weather. Muscular bony pain and stiffness. Feels like I'm going backwards since it got very cold

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Apologies , Cathy, for not answering, but I wanted to add a related question., rather than opening a parallel thread. I am dreading the Op where one of the joints in my big toe will be sawn off and not replaced (cheap and cheerful NHS-style) but the toe then just stiffened with metal.

As my hobbies include spending time on snow in -20 and colder, I could imagine the metal not just irritating whatever nerve ends will remain by getting colder than the bits around it (even inducing frost bite in more extreme conditions?)?

- any one know from experience or reading sources? 

• Posted

Yes Cathy it definitely does for me. My operated leg is much stiffer in the mornings now it is cold in the uk. Also my other knee which I am due to have replaced in January is worse in the cold weather
  • Posted

I haven't had op but other reasons for going through bone healing and for the first time in my life I'm feeling the pain through the effects of cold air on hip and knee joints.

Keep it well covered and although not pretty some thermal long johns would help keep your joints warm, the problem with UK winter is its a damp cold and I think it does go joint deep.

Which toe are they removing? and for what reason, would it not be better to just lose it(only asking)so your sport want be effected

• Posted

Same here Cathy. Definitely a bit stiffer these colder mornings.

I do 5 minutes each morning and evening on exercise bike to free up movement.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

I feel the same way.  Loosens up after moving around and taking pain med. tried to sleep without pain med.  miserable night.
  • Posted

Like most, I also feel the stiffness and pain more when the mornings are cooler. I live in central Texas and anything below 70 degrees and I'm freezing. So, not sure if that is a real comparison. I agree that exercising and just moving around helps. Stay warm.

• Posted

The explanation I was given: as the barometer changes body pressures also change. The body has a way of compensating for the changes. It sends more fluid to affected areas to supply a cushion. This also causes swelling and that's when the pain hits. After the weather settles down and it stays cold some of that pain dissipates. There are some creams and such that help but only after the incision is completely healed.

Lightweight flannel or fleece wrap can help. I don't have any reason to wear dress clothes anymore as I'm retired so warm ups become my apparel of choice for comfort.

• Posted

Worse in the cold?  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Was that loud enough?  I had a hip replacement while living in New Jersey.  Baaaaaaad.  Moved to Texas.  Goooooood.  On the bright side, you've become the family's weatherman... 

• Posted

Tkr on July 1st and agree mine gets stiff in cold weather and after sitting for periods of time. Going back to PT this week to strengthen my quads and general wellness training. Most people seem to day it takes a year or so to fully recover. I'm going in at the end of December to have my other knee done so I'm planning on a long haul for recovery. Hope all is well for you.

• Posted

Thanks Chico I will.... I did read it before my last surgery so I thinks it needs to be read again. Thanks,

Brent

• Posted

PT will get you your ROM back but to get your quads, glutes and core in shape, ya gotta hit the gym...hours and hours of work.  No other way.
    • Posted

Hi Chico. I love gym, but live far away from any... and my surgeon told me to avoid hi-impact and twisting

Best tips for quads, for doing daily at home?

• Posted

Hi, The one exercise I was given before my TKR for quads was squeezing those muscles and holding for say a count of 10, and relax. Repeat for about 10 reps. This can be done sitting in a chair or with your legs stretched out straight on your bed and squeezing the quads.  I also had to do these after I had my TKR. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.