Pain in feet and shines when walking

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 63 years old and think i am quite fit for my age. I started walking about 4 to five miles a day for about 2 weeks and have been fine.

One day last week i felt i could do it as my feet and shines became painful, so had a weeks rest. Tried to start again but my legs feel weak and painful . I have bunions but cope with thus pain. Just cant seem to walk like i used to,

Any help or advice would be grateful.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You can get bunion support items which can help. There are some bunion friendly shoes as well, google bunion support items and bunion support shoes/sandals. You basically need some things to help separate your toes. You can also get toe alignment socks or yoga socks which it is good to wear round your home and even when you sleep if you get the type of pain which keeps you awake. When you find some shoes and supports that you get on with and your pain is better, try walking again. But don't go straight back to 4-5 miles straight away. Do what you can and don't try and push too hard, do what feels comfortable and have little rests. Take fish oil tablets every day, stretch before and after you walk and have a warm bath when you get back to sooth your feet and legs.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. I will look into the things you have suggested.

Also think i did too much too soon, the brain said go for it , but legs saying slow down. Thanks again

• Edited

Hello Finley! It's definitely not easy as we get older, right? Medical experts want us all to keep exercising, but how do we exercise when we are in pain? I'm 65 and not a day goes by where something doesn't ache. It's really frustrating... I always thought that the ageing aches and pains wouldn't really start until I was in my 70's. But now I realize why society used to have a mandatory retirement age of 65... because we start falling apart in our 60's haha

Anyway, I would strongly advise you to contact your doctor. Most likely they'll just want to video conference with you since we are all stuck at home. Your pain may be as simple as you needing more protein and/or water.New walking shoes or orthotics (I recommend you check out Zappos on line) might help. The pain might even be stress related (our brains work in mysterious ways).Your doctor will probably be able to steer you in the right direction.

Take care and keep us posted!

• Edited

Thank you, yes we think we can do more than our body will allow us.

I will rest up and take shorter walks,

Stay safe !!

• Posted

You might also consider getting a stationary bike. Another activity to take up is swimming. I was swimming at a gym, but that's closed for the time being as you can imagine. Please let us know how you're doing in the days to come, ok? Your post will help others with similar issues.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. I thought by now they would feel better. Not so

much painful now, feel weak and not like my legs. Only manage a short walk around the block and feel exhausted .

• Posted

Fin

start your walks and slowly build up. 4/5 miles is a great distance. start with a 2 km walk then slowly build up over several weeks / months. you pushed your body too hard too quick

• Posted

I agree with you , as you say too much too soon. Just hit me as two weeks. A warning to slow it down . Thank you

• Posted

Finley....when was the last time you saw your doctor? weak and painful legs arent normal and you may have something else going on which needs attention. Do have a word with your doctor to get checked out.

It may be something simple like a decent pair of walking shoes that are wider and more structured, but it does need to be checked.

• Posted

Well its only happened a few weeks ago after taking up 5 mile walks. But i will get it checked if it does not improve. Just might have over done the walking as others have suggested.

Thank you for your reply and help .

• Posted

I have just reread your original post and Marina has a point. You said you had the pain and weakness after a weeks rest, that sounds like you should probably mention that to your doctor. I suffer with bunions and bunionettes and the pain can last a few days after a big walk, but not over a week. You also said you were fine walking for that long for a couple of weeks before getting the pain, which if it was just the fact you walked that length straight away and got the pain, it would be understandable, but as you were fine for the first few walks, it may indicate another problem. GPs are taking phone appointments at the moment if you are still having pain and weakness in your legs you should probably make a call.

• Posted

Just wanted to update you all who answered

my query about pain in shines and feet.

I rested them for two weeks and they feel fine now. Have taken short walks and glad to say all good.

No more overdoing the walking again !!!

Stay safe everyone .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.