Pain in hands and feet

Posted , 12 users are following.

Is it normal to have pain and swelling in hands and feet with PMR? I seem to have alot of peripheral symptoms and I am wondering if my Rhematoligist has gotten my diagnosis right since my bloods were only slightly elevated he has considered me to be "ATYPICAL". I am physically exhausted, swelling in hands and feet (some days I can't even wear my wedding ring), mentally my memory is shot and by the afternoon I am in a haze, pains more around everyday -when I awake I wonder: WHAT WILL HURT ME TODAY.....Are everyone's symptoms like this? I'm on 8mg (started on 10 mg pred last Dec 2017) and can't seem to go any lower as I am barely hanging on! I have lost over 20 lbs on pred (not normal apparently)- went from a size 8 to a size 4! My rheumatologist keeps saying I WILL START TO GAIN....hasn't happened. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It seems that PMR and Prednisone likes to give each of us a personalized set of afflictions and side effects. Although I didn't have it initially, I have dealt with swollen and numb hands and feet for over one year. Two years ago I started at 15mg, had to go as high as 30 mg and am currently at 8 mg. As I got below 10 mg the swelling and numbness finally started to fade away. It's not gone but it's better. Not saying that's what'll happen for you. Everyone is different. Seems like your doctor started you at a low dose of pred and it sure doesn't sound like you are taking enough to handle the pain. We're talking Quality Of Life here, and if your pred dose isn't doing the job it's got to go up.

Once again, it seems like many share some of the problems but not all. Initially my weight held steady but during a couple flares I dropped 15% of my weight over 3 months and have held at that point since. Others gain weight like crazy. All part of the wild world of PMR.

• Posted

Looking at my post, I need to clarify that when I'm hurting a lot I lose all desire to eat. That's what happened during those flares about a year ago and is why I lost the weight until the pred dose was adjusted to knock the pain down.

• Posted

I had fluid retention in the legs by evening when I was on a higher dose. I also had pain in feet and hands. I gained 3 stone in weight but now I'm reducing to 2mgs and have not had much fluid retention for a long time now. I did not have very elevated bloods either but the Pred had a miraculous effect. I also felt exhausted but paced myself and now I am almost back to a normal pace of life and doing most activities. It takes time and you have to rest and pace yourself. I wonder if you are on a high enough dose but you are obviously very slim so perhaps it is the correct amount. Perhaps the initial dose wasn't enough.

• Posted

Hi Silver - how long have you been on pred - just wondered as you say you are almost back to normal pace of life....that's brilliant to hear ! I can't wait but like Cyn I was not Atypical and I too doubt my diagnosis...I am down to 8mg now, reducing by 1mg a week having started on 15mg last July.....I am desperate to get off them as have so many nasty side effects....the whole gamut for me but the palpitations were the worse and the muscle weakness in my legs ( fell out a black cab and cracked my head because of it) - so you can understand how desperate I am to get off them...and if I have pain I will just go back to the co-codamol......that's my plan anyway....x

• Posted

Gosh, that sounds awful falling out of a cab because of muscle weakness. I don't want to upset you but it's 3.5 years now. I recognise the palpitations and lightheadedness was another problem but it gets better. I didn't take anything else for the pain but I can understand your desperation to get off. I found the calcium tablets increased the heart rhythm problems for me and it was agreed that I stop them. I understand taking magnesium as well as the calcium may have solved the problem but I didn't know at the time. It may be a good idea to speak to your GP about the palpitations but they are a problem for others too.

• Posted

If cocodamol helps I would go so far as to say it is less likely to be PMR - painkillers rarely make any difference,

Really reducing 1mg per week? I fell more because of PMR itself than I did while on Medrol which caused quite severe myopathy. Have you tried asking to try a different form of corticosteroid? And my palpitations are due to the a/i part of PMR - not the steroids!

• Posted

I think it is time for you to see a different doctor for a second opinion. You may have the symptoms of PMR and it responds to pred but the excessive weight loss is not usual - much as a lot of us would like it to be! There are other things that cause the same symptoms and they MUST be ruled out before fixing on a diagnosis of atypical PMR. Up to 20% of patients have blood markers in the normal range - but that is a range for a large population of people. You say your levels are raised slightly - they may be raised a lot for you. My normal ESR is low single figures - at 16-18 at one point it was very raised for me but still well "within normal range".

Swollen hands and feet can be something called RS3PE syndrome and it is often found in PMR. But it can be caused by a whole slew of other rheumatic illnesses as well as other more serious things - as can PMR. Google it for a better description.

However - if it really IS PMR then you need the right dose of pred to manage the symptoms. That is all it does, the real illness is still continuing in the background. If you still have pain, you are not on enough pred or the antiinflammatory effect is not lasting the full 24 hours - it varies between 12 and 36 hours so if you are not taking enough and are at the 12 hour end, the pain may well return in the afternoon.

So please do see another doctor - to rule out the other causes and sort out the dose properly if it does turn out to be "just" PMR.

• Posted

Did you ever get proper pain relief? Your starting dose of 10 mg was rather low as most of us start at about 15 or sometimes a little higher, then start to taper after about a month or so. But please, if you can, do as Eileen suggests and get a second opinion. Best wishes. Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

yes my Rheumatologist is against being over 10 mg he put me on 15mg for my trip down south last winter so that I would be okay. My GP wants me to get a second opinion

• Posted

Your rheumatologist may be against you being on over 10mg - but unfortunately some people need more than that to get pain relief. You need what you need for pain relief and not being on enough is pointless - you have most of the downsides with no benefits to balance them out. I agree with your GP.

• Posted

Well, the thing is, we may start at 15 or even more, but we don't stay there. After a few months we may well be down to 10 mg anyway, and have had very good pain control in the meantime. Yes, the risk of side effects is higher at higher doses, but they diminish as we slowly taper. The aim is to find the lowest dose which controls the symptoms so you can have a reasonable quality of life. Pred isn't "curing" anything. All it does is manage the pain. As Eileen says, it's pointless to take it if you aren't taking enough to deal with the symptoms.

• Posted

My rheumatlogist was the same he wanted me to hurtle from 15mg to below 10mg as quickly as possible. I am sure I would have had a much smoother ride if he had not been in such a hurry and I might have even reduced faster in the long run, as I was yo-yoing.

• Posted

Cyn1965. As you probably know there are almost a dozen symptoms of PMR and it seems we all get a different menu of them. Swelling of the extremities and pitting edema of the ankles and feet are among them. At 60 I thought had every symptom during my first bout with PMR while I went un-diagnosed for eight months; bi-lateral shoulder and arm pain, pain in my back, pain in the back of both legs, anemia, weight loss, severe night sweats, hip pain yet no swelling of my extremities. After treatment and cure (remission in 24 months) 9 years later I suddenly developed swollen ankles and feet with pitting edema which my new MD thought was a reaction to my blood pressure meds. A few months later I developed wrist pain like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists along with swelling, soreness and stiffness in my calves. My CRP test revealed my PMR had come back. Yet, this time I had none of the original symptoms. PS when I describe "pain" it is more like a severe muscle soreness like I seriously over-exerted myself at the gym the day before. Take note of Eileen's comment re RS3PE syndrome. I was unaware of this condition until I joined this forum but it fits many of our symptoms. I am in remission once again. Hope you get it all under control real soon .

Regards.

• Posted

I couldn't agree more. I am resigned to the fact that RS3PE /PMR will be my lifelong traveling companions, hopefully silent. Nice to see that when people mention hands and feet, along with some swelling, the crowd knowledge here immediately raises the RS3PE possibility. When I use the acronym RS3PE with general practice physicians here in the US, only about 35% understand, 60% with PMR.

• Posted

I agree that you are not taking enough pred. I too had swollen, painful fingers, couldn't wear my rings for a few months, painful ankles Ilost 20 lbs before pred and diagnosis

thru loss of appetite and heavy night sweats.. Those are PMR symptoms. You must up your pred dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.