Pain in heel after ankle surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my ankle 7 weeks ago and needed surgery - i got a plate and 6 screws on one side and one long screw on the other - and i was NWB for 6 weeks. I got an aircast on thursday (3 days ago) and have noticed a lot of pain in the heel of my foot when I walk. Also, my ankle is still swollen and hot to the touch. Should i be worried? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, asyadubova!

It is natural to have pain after surgery. My aircast boot worked wonders in some ways such as in stability but it weighed so much! After a prolonged period of time, the only choice I had that worked was ice packs. I tried everything to ease the pain but the ice was the only true thing. I'm now trying cotton soxes heated with rice and that helps.

You are definitely in the kindest and most polite support group👍 Everyone can help or cheer you on👍 Blessings, Monica

• Posted

Yes! You should get to the dr asap. Over the past 2+ months they've told me over & over to call if it gets hot to touch + swollen. Could be infected.

Regarding the heel, my heel hurts too. I think there will be a lot of new pains after not using it for so long. I have sharp stabbing pains & my knee hurts a lot. I go to the dr today. After looking at this site I see others have experienced this too. The nerves and muscles are waking up I think. I'll find out today!

Get to the dr with the heat on it and let us know.

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm not able to do much on my own. At some points I feel helpless. 🐧

• Posted

Oh do I know about feeling helpless! I'm not comfortable asking for help but I've had to. It'll get better. If someone offers to help take them up on it. I'm sure you'd do it for them.

• Posted

Absolutely 👍 Right now I'm in an incredibly bad situation. Prayers welcome 🙏

• Posted

I am going to my first physio appointment tomorrow so I'll tell them about the heat but it has definitely subsided since! Do you know anything about soaking the cuts? I had the stapes taken out 5 weeks ago and really want to take a bath but don't know if I am allowed to soak my foot underwater?

• Posted

I was told no soaking just shower but that was right after getting the staples out. Can you call the dr office & ask? My dr said there are no stupid questions and to call any time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.