Pain in hip joint after ankle surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have the worst pain in my joint at the top of my thigh (I guess that is my hip joint). It’s from holding my leg up or out I guess so much. Does anyone else experienced this? And what do you do to help with that? It’s so painful! Thanks 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It’s almost like a sciatica pain! Sharp, shooting sensation and I can tell it’s ftom holding my leg in a funny position 
  • Posted

Brooke,

Likely your hip pain stems from your period of non-weight bearing after ankle surgery. Non-use will cause atrophy of affected tissue, and resulting pain. I experienced this myself during ankle recovery.

Also, if you are in a CAM boot (moon boot) and begin weight bearing on an injured ankle it is important to keep the height of your good foot shoe the same as boot foot. They make 'even up' shoe appliances for this very purpose. An imbalance of leg heights can lead to knee and hip joint pain.

The best way to get past joint pain caused by inactivity is by engaging in targeted and appropriate exercises. There are plenty of videos and other instructional materials online to aid you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you! I’ll look into the even ups for when the time comes. Great tip! 
  • Posted

when you have ba elevated do you elevate the other leg too? Often more comfortable and less likely to cause pain in hip. I was told to try to do some simple exercises 1) wiggle toes to work on circulation 2) bend knee then straighten knee a few times every now and then ...from sitting or lying 3) from lying down raise and lower leg...this one can be done lying on back or lying on side for different muscles. As kpower says, there will be explanations of suitable exercises online. If it hurts ...try a pain killing rub on the hip before doing the exercises. I think most of us have suffered aches and pains in other parts of the body; some as a result of lack of use, others as result of unusual use. Not being able to put weight on the ba puts a lot of strain on other parts of body
  • Posted

Hi Brooke,

I am almost 2 weeks post op and I am experiencing stiffness or pain from my knee right into my hip/butt. I've used a heating pad and tried moving and stretching the area to relieve pain. It's a horrible aching pain that seems to be better some days and worse others. It does seem to be a bit better when I sit up in a chair with both my legs elevated.

I hope some of the suggestions help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.