pain in knees

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with arthritis in both my knees. Seeing my doctor regularly, but wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with the pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Snap, it's agony, turning over in bed wakes me up. I already have it in cervical and lumbar so really struggling. Feels like you are just left to get on with it. I would welcome advice also
  • Posted

hi Tyler, sorry to hear of your knee problems.  I have OA in several areas and have tried a multitude of things to lessen the pain.  I take an anti-inflammatory (eg naproxen or ibuprofen) late evening which helps to keep the inflammation at bay overnight (dont forget to take a stomach protector too - something like omeprazole).  I've found most pain meds pretty useless to be honest so dont bother with them anymore.  Natural anti inflammatories include ginger (fresh ginger root is best but also ginger tea), can be minced up and rubbed on the joints or infused with hot water and lemon to drink.  Curcumin (found in small quantities in the spice turmeric) is a very good well known anti inflamm - there is a new product available in health stores which has a high concentration and is fast acting.  Voltarol or ibuprofen gel rubbed on the joints helps too. 

Above all else, avoid sugar and saturated fats like the plague! They cause overactivity in the immune system, which can lead to joint pain, fatigue, and damage to the blood vessels.  Now we're getting better weather, sunshine/warmth helps a lot - my OA is always ten times worse in winter - a few hours in the sun and its really noticeable how much better it is.

Last but not least, gentle exercise is essential - try something like swimming which is non weight bearing - dont overdo it but it's essential to keep the joint flexible, which will reduce discomfort a lot. Hope that helps

• Posted

I have had success with the Tens unit, sometimes it's better than taking pills.

i also use Arnica massage balm 3x a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.