Pain in large muscles

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have had the NHS stadard treatment for Hashimoto for 8 years, i am currently spending the day in bed because I cannot function. This is a difficult situation when you work full time, My GP 's are next to useless and a note of non compliant patient has been written on my medical notes, I do not remember been non compliant with any treatment but I am too weak to compalin. I am happy to buy this alternative pig gland treatment ftom the USA but I need help with the conversion of what I currently take to what i need to order in safety. My GP's obvoiusly are of the opinion that I am a loony tune so its useless asking them to prescribe it. I am currently taking 100 mcg of thyroine but they do reduce this from time to time just incase I happen to feel a bit better or maybe my hair is growing back. Please forgive my sarcasm but to spend all Sunday in bed instead of out walking my dog or visiting my elderly lovely parents is a sorry state of affairs. Please kindly help me if you know how to convert dosage, I will not hold anyone responsible for any error I will get many opinions on dosage.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

P.S. I also could not find a doctor who could help me with my thyroid problem, so I went to the emergency room this past Thursday and they reported that I had a nodgul (sp?) on my thyroid gland.  I will be following up to see if I need surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Jan- I too, have a nodule. After reading the notes from the folks on this site, I feel better about my choice NOT to have it removed. I have been using acupuncture and boron therapy to shrink it with some success. I originaly was diagnosed with the cyst in 1998, and doctors gave no treatment. I had it retested regularly and in 2012 had not seen any increase in growth for 5 years. However, in the year and a half I was on the Levothyroxin, the cyst more than trippled in size.

My doctor offered surgery, however, it is a very diffcult surgery, very precise, possibility of nicking your vocal cords and winding up with a horrible, scratchy voice. They can't just remove the cyst, they remove the entire side of the thyroid. While you're still under, they have a pathologist check and if it appears by visual examination to be cancerous, they remove the other side as well.

Since then, I've had success with boron therapy for the hard part of the cyst and, acupuncture for the soft  part of the cyst, as well as getting off the levo and onto the NDT prescription... seems to have helped, as my compound cyst has shrunk dramatically. I have also been gluten-free.

Read through the comments from folks who've had their thyroid completely removed. It only gets worse once it's completely gone, from the comments I've seen.

• Posted

Thanks, Catherine, for tellingme about your experience with the nodule. I will definitely find out all I can about it from the doctor before I choose surgery.  Did you have any problems with breathing or swallowing at anytime since you've had the nodule?
    • Posted

Even when the cyst was large, I didn't feel l ike it was a big hindrance on my breathing or swallowing, However, now that it's smaller, it does feel a little easier to swallow.  Keep in mind, one of the side effects of thyroid meds is having difficulties swallowing. Or if you have Hashimoto's your thyroid is very irregular, so you can have both high and low at the same time. so hyperthyroid causes difficulty swallowing. Is your cyst soft, or hard or combination?

I'm in the US and I was reading above that you folks in the UK can't get a preoscription for the natural dessicated thyroid. Is that true? Our prescription stuff isreferred to as NDT, and is pharmaceutical grade(purified some way, and concetrated to a standard) and is all pretty much the same except for the additives used by different companies. Brand names are Armour and naturethroid to name a few.  Our doctors do not prescribe completely natural dessicated thyroid product, as these unrefined and not concentrated products are sold over the counter (OTC) at the drug store. Like you would buy any natural herbal supplement or vitamin.

The whole treatment system here is horrible, and I thought it was super primitive. But it sounds like it's way worse in the UK, because you don't even have the NDT to choose from as a prescription, once you've gone through the whole process of getting a diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.