Pain in left calf

Posted , 3 users are following.

For over a week I have had a sore calf.  My GP is away so I saw a young locum, who was not sure of my condition, as   few visible signs are visible  and I find it difficult to specify the exact symptons.

I have diabetes, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, and athlete's foot, as well as poor veins.  The doctor prescribed an anti-biotic, paracetamol and diclac. None of these have helped.  I tried a bandage, resting, walking, ice, heat and exercise.  I have looked at our site, but cannot see clearly what I have.

Any suggestons? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I am not a medic so cannot advise you as to the problem you are suffering from. I do know that with Diabeties you need to be very careful with symptoms, especially the legs and feet. Go back to the GP see a different one, your own if you can. Emphasise that you have Diabeties and you are very worried. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Elizabeth,

many thanks for your sound reply.

I saw another doctor in the practice this afternoon.  She seemed to believe my problem was due to veins. She recommended Solpadeine and Vimovo.  These seem stronger that the Diclac and Paracetamol I was taking.

She also recommended walking.  I feel more confident now.

• Posted

Hello, I hope things improve for you and that the meds will help you.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth,

• Posted

If you havent been referred to a neurologist then insist that you are (I ended up seeing one privately for diagnosis only)  Once you have a diagnosis then the ordinary doctors know what to do!! Lol.  nothing much helps I have capiscum cream and use a TENS machine when it is bad  I do not want to take Gabapentin etc.  If it is bad at night I distract myself by reading etc cos I know it will go off eventuall(usually 48 hrs)  You need to be careful as you have diabetes because sometimes you end up not haveing much feeling in some areas.
  • Posted

Kersey,

Thanks.

Current thinking is that the pain is due to vein problems.

I am taking 8 solpadiene a day and Vimovo morning and evening.

I will see a doctor next week, and my own one on his return from holidays.

I am surprised tha varicose veins are so paibful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.