pain in left front thigh only. is this arthritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I suddenly started having pain in left front thigh only--5 months now. I've had lower back pain in the past. Does anyone else have only or primarily this symptom? Or is this likely something other than arthritis? Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If your thinking RA - then thigh pain in my opinion would be unusual because we usually get hit in our joints first, and wherever there is synovial fluid. Perhaps its related to your back (sciatica?) or maybe fibromyalgia, but I would talk to your dr to have it checked out to be sure.

• Posted

I agree with you, Justgettinby. Possibly sciatica as I sometimes get that. Not experienced it with RA

• Posted

I was told by my rhuematologist that I had RA. I went in with thigh pain in both legs. They started treating me with all these drugs for RA, when if fact I had blood clots in both of my legs. I could not even walk to my mailbox without stopping to let my legs settle down. I kept telling this bozo, that RA is in the joints, and not once did I have pain in my joints. I DO NOT want to freak you out, but a call to your regular doctor wouldn't hurt. Better to be safe than sorry. I can't tell you how long I walked around with clots in my legs, but it felt like forever until another doctor really listened and sent me for some pretty simple tests that gave me a correct diagnosis. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hello. I was diagnosed with RA for about 4 years ago, Affects only my elbow joints and it's under control with a biologic. I too started with a new pain in my left left, about 6 months ago, that to me felt like a trapped nerve. So, and as has already been mentioned, my thoughts were sciatica or fibromyalgia. More recently, the pain has developed in my left front thigh only. The thigh being really tight preventing me from stretching my leg backwards hence I struggle to walk properly, and also a complete loss of leg strength if I put any weight on my left leg. I have, last month, had 4 sessions with a physiotherapist who initially thought a groin strain, but then thinks a problem within the hip itself, maybe osteoarthritis. I have just been referred to a consultant orthopaedic surgeon for an xray and onward diagnosis. I will keep you posted.

• Posted

This MAY be a symptom of RA. I have "palindromic RA" which is asymmetric (unlike most RA symptoms which are symmetric). My asymmetric symptoms have included pain along the long leg bone in my left leg, tendonitis around the right knee, inflammation of the rib cage where the bones attach to cartelidge, lower back pain, pain in my achiles tendon on my right heel, and many other odd symptoms. Each time the symptoms persisted for months or even a year. Then the symptom would suddenly disappear. Heaven knows where the pain will be next. Ask your rheumatologist. This would give him/her more information about your particular case.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thats interesting because I too do not have symmetrical RA. Many of my symptoms sound like yours - Left wrist, right elbow, right ankle/heel/achiles, occasional knee pain that jumps back and forth, and some weird rib stuff, etc..etc.. although I do not have actual muscle pain. Mine is always mostly joints (except for the ribs) My rheumatologist has never mentioned palindromic RA. I have seropositive RA, but I would guess you are as well? Is the treatment basically the same? I'm having pretty good luck with Orencia injections - finally something that helps! Hopeyour doing well too!

• Posted

I have had RA for 17 years now and it took years of observation for the doc to pronounce me with palindromic RA. I still take only methotrexate and plaquenil with an occasional meloxican. But about 5 years ago I started taking 2 caplets of turmeric per day and it has made a big difference for me. I am now only taking 1/3 the methotrexate I used to take because of the turmeric.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.