Pain in left Inguinal Hernia repair.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I had one direct and one indirect hernias repaired together using (as far as i know) mesh on February 22nd. All went well, and i started walking after 3-4 weeks, sometimes up to 45 minutes. However, on April 4th i experienced pain on the last 15 minutes of my walk, and the following day i did two one hour drives, and had some discomfort. Since then i've had a bit of pain and discomfort on a daily basis ( getting worse by evening). Has anyone else had a similar problem? Am i liable to have damaged the repair? or have i just pulled or strained something, and is it likely to settle down with time? Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is something you need to have your GI surgeon have. CT Scan to check and see if everything is where it is supposed to be, etc.
  • Posted

Yes, hopefully i will see the surgeon soon.
  • Posted

It's possible that you pulled something when exercising.   Give it a bit of time and see if it improves.   That's what I would do.
  • Posted

Did you check with your Doctor?  If you have not I suggest you do, as I have not heard of that before.  Sorry can;t help you perhaps some else can.
  • Posted

Yes, i checked with my GP, and he thought all was ok as far as he could see. It seems to be slowly improving, and i'm taking it very easy and taking Ibuprofen every day.
  • Posted

Hello callum54, I had right inguinal hernia repair with mesh six months ago and have had pain and discomfort on and off ever since. Some days I thought it may have been settling down, but then it comes back. I have had second and third opinins from other surgeons who say it's mesh inguinodynia. The last Doctor said I should have the mesh removed. I am seeing him again tomorrow so I have a big decision to make. I am quite scared about what to do. 
    • Posted

Hi Adele, i'm sorry to read about your problem with the repair. I have heard of this complication; it's not what you want after going through an op. Yes, you have a big decision to make, but i suppose all we can do is follow medical advice in these situations. All the best, and i hope you get on well.
    • Posted

I did not have mesh with my surgery.    One of my problems, as I've been told, is that I have quite a bit of scar tissue.   It sometimes causes me problems when I eat.   Hope that you get your problem resolved soon.   Recovering from surgery can take a long time.
    • Posted

Thank you. My intuition and pain is telling me this mesh is the problem, even though I want to deny it to avoid more surgery. Time will tell. Will keep all informed of my advances in the hope it may get fixed for myself anf help anyone else in this situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.