Pain in left side back shoulder ,shoulder blade and around ribs srea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I got this left side shoulder pain since I got graves disease last year I'm euthyroid now not taking any carbimazole but taking supplements going to physio is not helping either I'm wondering if this related to graves or something else bcs its only on left upper and lower middle back and side ribcage area. Linda...Madge.....Dan....pls if u guys can help me bcs I don't understand this ...thanks ....samy

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Years ago I had a similar problem and it disappeared when I had General anesthesia for surgery for another problem.  It sounds like the condition called "frozen shoulder". I would read up on it and see if you feel your symptoms match that.  I remember being surprised when mine went away after my surgery.  If that is your diagnosis, there is a lot you can do for it.

• Posted

Thanks Linda I will ask my doctor abt frozen shoulder but my parents had frozen shoulder and they diabetic and been operated bcs they could nt move their shoulders I can move my shoulder and arm its the pain which is moving on that side from one place to other
  • Posted

I also had a similar problem with my elbow.  It was progressively becoming so painful over a week's time.  At the end of the week I was in such pain I went to a Walk-In Clinic and the doc gave me a prescription NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) called Arthrotec.  Within 10 minutes of taking my first dose of this, this excruciating pain that was progressively worse over a week's time totally disappeared.  I am glad I had that experience because Arthrotec has helped me immensely once I developed arthritis and I don't think I could have functioned without it.

• Posted

Hi Samy3, the area around the left shoulder blade is a vulnerable spot for me too. I use my left hand to move a computer mouse.  It helps me to stay active with swimming and tennis. A good posture can help as well, especially if you are working on a computer or in a seated position for hours. I find it important to have the elbows resting on the table or armrest while typing of 'mousing'.

I think it is not so much the hyperthyroidism itself, but more the lack of activity that caused the problems for me. In general, try to maintain a posture in which your shoulder blades are as far apart as possible. Resist the temptation to bring you shoulder blades closer together as it only brings temporary relief. Long term it will help you more to stretch and exercise the affected muscles and ligaments.  

Below are some stretches that helped me.   

1) Sit on a bed or sofa with your feet firmly on the floor. Stretch your arms in front you and keep your hands in a vertical plane with the thumbs pointing up. Now cross your arms and place the back of your left hand on the right side of your right knee. Place the back of your right hand on the left side of your left knee. 

Spread your legs such that your arms are pushed apart. Gently lean forward to stretch your shoulders and your back. For a stronger stretch of the trapezius muscle exhale before bending forward and inhale deeply while leaning forward. You can also swap our arms (left arm on top or vice versa) and repeat the stretch.

2) Again sit on a bed with your feet on the floor. Hold the back of your left hand with the right hand. Now pull the left hand toward the right and place your left hand on the bed around 20cm away from the right thigh. The left arm is completely stretched and is held in place by your right hand. Now gently bend forward. By adjusting how far you bend forward and where you place your left hand you can change the area that is stretched. This is very effective shoulder blade stretch.

3) For this one, you need a partner. Lie on a bed with your face down. Place your left arm on your lower back such that your left shoulder blade is slightly raised. Have your partner massage the area around the shoulder blade, gently digging his/her fingers under the shoulder blade.

Hope the stretches help somewhat. They are really easy.    

• Posted

Thanks a lot Dan ...I'm doing the last one u mentioned with my physio and husband but still no relief ...and I have noticed I get a lot gas in my tummy too has it got something to do with gastritis?

• Posted

I would get checked for H.pylori for the stomach gas problem.  It's only a blood test.

• Posted

Also, what's your diet? Do you eat wheat?

• Posted

Hi Samy, I had this really bad until I had physio and they gave me exercises to do and now I rarely get it! I think it's definitely related to Graves and holding stress in the muscles and shoulders! 😞

• Posted

I'm going to physio as well never had this pain before the graves its moving pain but only on left side

• Posted

Hi Samy3, just a few questions, is the pain sharp or dull, is it surface or deep, are there things that make it worse/better, does it radiate from one spot? I know I get pain under my left ribs that radiates into my chest because of wind. Physiotherapy should have helped if it was musculoskeletal pain, so that leaves referred pain and nerve pain. If physio isn't helping you might need to go back to your doctor and see if he/she has any ideas for relieving your pain. Hope you get some answers soon, take care

• Posted

Thanks Jenifer its dull ache pain mostly its on deep muscles and on the blade bones too that's what I think and yes my ribs pain radiate to my chest and breast so annoying my GP is waiting for the letter from physio then send me somewhere else which I have no clue

• Posted

Hi Samy3, the deep muscle pain sounds a bit like the pain I get from nerve root compression in my neck, it was an ache that went down to the bone in my left arm , the kind of thing that I can usually handle but this was constant and very little I did would relieve it, I was prescribed pain relief (which I used very sparingly) and anti inflammatory medication which I took as the doctor ordered, the pain eventualy got better but my thumb is now permanently numb. Their are so many possible causes for upper back and shoulder pain, for me it's my neck from an injury almost 20 years ago (whiplash) but the thyroid problem definitely makes it worse. I hope the doctor figures out what it is for you but until you have answers work within your pain threshold, keep moving and if you find something that seems to help use it (exercise, heat/cold, massage or medication). Good luck and hugs 🤗

• Posted

Thank u so much Jenifer for all ur help and kind words...luv samy
  • Posted

Naproxen works for me after just 2 tabs . 
    • Posted

That's good Marlene I tried naproen it helps but I don't want to be addicted bcs I have read that for long term its not good for ur kidneys

• Posted

Naproxen most I've taken at any given time is total 4 . Pain goes ,then go on from there . Im wary of over stretching ,that can be a bad thing ,but we all do it even Osteopaths, Drs etc . Wish life was pain free . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.