Pain in left side of throat / neck - HELP PLEASE!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone 😃

For a couple of weeks now, I have had a pain in the left side of my throat, that really hurts to touch/press in from the outside and hurts when I swallow, especially if my head is turned to the right. The radiating pain seems to go all the way to my left ear. Could this be caused by acid reflux? Has anyone else had the same? I am going out of my mind with worry!

Many thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

could be acid reflux yep. have a look at my profile and the post I started about a year ago. same symptoms, ended up being LPR.

• Posted

Thank you! Could you feel where your throat was painful when pressing in from the outside? I think it is caused by acid reflux as I woke up with it one morning after having a really bad night of acid reflux but I suffer with health anxiety ( and I am on meds) and this isn't helping! How long did it take for your throat pain to go? Or have you still got it?

Many thanks x

• Posted

I still have it intermittently along with a host of other issues.

my pain specifically starts in the back side of my tongue, extending down one side of throat, with ear pain. my bloodwork showed no infections, all my various scans showed no cancer. my endoscopy showed the reflux.

I take PPI medication every morning now and it has helped tremendously.

and yes, it was sometimes tender to the touch, but I think that was more the swollen lymph nodes causing that.

• Posted

Hi, I have similar symptom and I suspect LPR since I belch quite often, however I have no heartburn no chest pain, no typical symptoms for acid reflux. Behind my tongue my left side throat has an itchy-pain for weeks, especially when I eat solid food, also deep inside my left ear feels itchy. Did your throat hurts when you swallowed food?

• Posted

Hi Raven, I know its been 10 months since you asked, but I have all these symptoms and my throat does hurt when I swallow food. Moreso later in the day.

Do you have any updates?

• Posted

This sounds very much like an infection...because it is also.effecting your ear.....you sound most worried and distressed.....so your first port of call..his your Gp...he can examine your throat....take swabs etc for testing....so you will.soonfind out what the problem.is.....and recieve the correct medication to.treat it...yes reflux can cause a sore dry throat....caused from.acid......ihave hiatus too....and often get dry mouth...and burning tongue.....but no.ear pain.....at the moment..lots of virus infections around...so.quite probable you have picked up....go.seeyour Dr...soon has possible...get a check.up...then you can start to.get treated.....for which ever problem.you.have....know from.experience....worry and anxiety . Go with reflux disease....your Dr will.understand that....and treat you....for either....dont delay....will put your mind at rest...hope you feel.better soon.

• Posted

It could be. I have a hiatus hernia too. The reason I thought it may be from acid reflux is that I woke up with this pain after a particularly bad night of acid indigestion. If it hasn't gone in a week or so I will go to the Dr

Many thanks x

• Posted

if you have a hiatal hernia its almost certainly a reflux issue. you need to ask your GP for an endoscopy.

• Posted

Have you been to see your doctor? Best to get it checked out for a number of things like infection, arthritis. Reflux symptoms would include a burning sensation in the throat/esophagus and possibly a discomfort lower down. Hope you can get help soon.

• Edited

did you get any answers!? im currently having same issue. i suspect silent reflux as ive always had stomach issues. my soreness is also left side and feels like its back of my tongue, left side only! i recently had leryngitis (think thats the spelling) but my symtoms were present before this. visit my Gp, she prescribed penicillin for throat as she said it still looked slightly infected. i also have post nasal drip. back of my throat looks sore and has a odd blister type thing on the back wall of my throat. my throat has felt like its full of mucus all the time (feeling of a lump) doc said my lymph nodes on left side are slightly inflamed...also one down side of my trachea (left side). my voice box feels sore...if i talk for too long or sometimes if i talk at all it feels strained. iv been experiencing red patches on inside mouth on cheeks...i clench my teeth (due to anxiety) and suck my cheeks in alot. im due to take a stool sample to my GP to test for bacteria and see my dentist. its really getting me down.

• Edited

Hi, does your left side throat feel anything when you swallow food?

• Edited

Hi I've had similar issue since last week. It started with a scrachy itchness like ants crawling, and whenever I swallow things it feels worse, solid food is the worst. It's also at the left side of my throat, I'd say somewhere right behind my soft palate, and deep inside my left ear is very itchy too. I have no fever no cold symptoms, when to my GP got Claritin and didn't seem to help. Today when I ate I noticed that it's like an itchy-pain, it's a rubbing feeling when food pass my throat. I don't know if it's LPR. However I have no heartburn or chest pain...hoping for a cure because eating is a problem for me now.

How are you feeling now??

• Posted

Hi Gayle, did you have any resolution to these symptoms? I'm experiencing something very similar.

• Posted

Any update; how are your symptoms today!? I have the same problem with inflammation of pharynx and larynx because of lpr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.