pain in legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 54 years old and I've been taking tibolone for one week and I have to say I have been feeling great.  I mainly went on it because I was having serious bladder problems and my consultant recommended that I try this.  My bladder has really improved, as well as my mood.  I feel positive and happy and my sex drive is increasing - I really thought we'd found the answer, but this morning, I've woken up with pains in my legs. Nothing horrendous, but kind of nerve pain - a throbbing.  Not pleasant. and I'm wondering if anyone else has felt anything like this.  I really wanted to give this treatment a go, but now I have my doubts.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizziemay

I was on Livial for a month and the first 2 weeks I felt fantastic also, then I got very restless legs at night and just couldn't sleep o I went to 1 every second day but that just made me sick..In the end I stopped it sometimes wish I had perservered now as it made me feel great also..I suggest you take Magnesium at night for your legs and give it a bit more time as it just might past, know lots of friends on it and they just love it and wouldnt give it up at all..So see how you go everything always takes time for your body to get use to something.... 

• Posted

Thank you for this. I'll take your advice. It's good hear you have friends taking it and its positive, because there's so much negative stuff online. Just out of interest, do you mind telling me if you've found an alternative? 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I was interested to read your posting on this forum about Livial (Tibolone). I am 70 and have been on Livial for over 20 yrs and hope to remain on it until I pop my clogs. I feel so well and still have a good sex life too. Luckily I have never had any side effects whatsoever. I think what you are reporting; pains in your legs on waking, is something completely different to 'irritable legs' that Colleen appears to be talking about. Irritable Legs is quite common, usually occurring at night which effects both men and women. Lizzie, if this continues I think you should maybe have a word with your doctor for reassurance. LadyPink

• Posted

Hi Ladypink.. Wow 20 years, that's inspiring .. And still experiencing great results by the sound of it. My pains aren't just agitated legs though.. It's almost like a nerve pain.. Quite severe now and I have the same in my arms and around my ribs. Just so strange if its totally unconnected. I've taken my pill this am, but I'm going to make a docs appointment. But thank you, I do hope to continue taking it. So the cancer risk has never bothered you then? 

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, Yes of course you are always aware of the cancer risk, but it's all to do with your 'quality of life' NOW and not what MIGHT happen, in the future - d'you know what I mean. After my husband of 37yrs died of a motor neurone type disease, I was remarried recently a man (toy boy) 8 years younger- so being 'fit and fully functioning' is very important. I read a book by former MP Teresa Gorman on the subject which you may find of interest and she's in her 80's! As long as you have regular health checks and mammograms etc anything unusual can soon be picked up and dealt with. I'm glad you're going to have a chat with your doctor though. Best wishes, LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

I have been on Tibolone for 4 months now & I really think that they have a settling in period. I too had painful legs on waking, most of the day infact until I put them up in the evening! I also had breakthrough bleeding, and a few other symptons but they have all disappeared now & I feel like 'me' again! So do persevere if you can, because the benefits have been fabulous, for me anyway!

Wendy

• Posted

Thanks Wendy

That's really encouraging. You don't know how it differs from other HRT treatments do you? It hasn't clearly been explained to me. I know it's not pure estrogen, but do you know if it's combined Estrogen and progesterone? I'm not sure.. Are you? Do you not have concerns about the increased cancer risk? As you can see, I've got concerns, but it is good to hear the positives. 

Thanks 

Liz

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I'm not sure exactly of the hows and whys but I see that some ladies have been on Tibolone for years so it's really tried and tested. This was on the internet though, I tried to share the page, but couldn't. 

Tibolone works by mimicking female sex hormones, oestrogen and progesterone. It also has some male hormone (androgen) effects. Tibolone helps to restore the balance of female hormones in women who have a lack of oestrogen; it helps to ease symptoms such as hot flushes and night sweats. You will only be prescribed it if these symptoms seriously interfere with your daily life.w & whys

Tibolone works by mimicking the activity of the female sex hormones, oestrogen and progesterone. It also has some male hormone (androgen) effects. Tibolone helps to restore the balance of female hormones in women who have a lack of oestrogen; it helps to ease symptoms such as hot flushes and night sweats. 

Have a look what is on patient.info and also what other ladies have said too. I was worried but now feel encouraged as my life is normal again lol

Good luck - Wendy wink

• Posted

Hi Liz, When first prescribed Livial over 20 years ago my GP explained that Tibolone was a hormone that 'stimulated' the brain to make its own hormones. Reading the leaflet with my pills it says, quote "Instead of actual hormones (such as oestrogen and a progestogen) it contains tibolone. Your body breaks down tibolone to make hormones. It's effects and benefits are similar to combined HRT" end of quote.  So, from that I gather that our stimulated brain makes both of its own oestrogen AND progesterone. All I know is that it makes me feel pretty good at the 'tender age' of 70 and very much still active in the female way.  Hope everything turns out well for you Liz and that you can continue taking it. Let's face it life without HRT can be grim for some of us. The risks as I've said before, I believe to be well worth it for a good quality of life (NOW) - as long as you are aware of those risks and you continue with blood pressure checks, smears, mammograms etc. Best wishes and fingers crossed all will go well. LadyPink
    • Posted

Thank you very much. That's really interesting. I'm going to try and persevere. 

I regularly get chronic cystitus and bladder infections and the consultants hope is that this will help. I could put up with the hot flushes and being a bit moody, but the bladder pain really gets me down. Today I still have sharp little pains in my legs and upper arms, but really bad cystitus, so its not helping yet. We'llsee. I will go to the docs but I think I'll stick with it for a month. 

I also feel very tired.. I had to pull off the motorway yesterday because I was falling Sleep at the wheel. Maybe my body is just adjusting. I'd like to think so. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again, 

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Liz, Did you initially say your doctor prescribed Livial to help with bladder problems? That's a mystery. Did you ask "WHY?". (Livial is known as a method of hormone replacement therapy. I've never heard of it being taken for anything else).  I've just reading too that early on Livial might cause thrush and vaginal infections. -- Since joining this Forum I am amazed by the number of ladies who don't ask questions of their doctor, like"Why are you prescribing this for me?"and "What are the benefits?" I always want to know what I'm taking and why so I ALWAYS ask. Taking HRT is a serious matter especially with things like thrombosis to consider. You know, I would want to speak to my GP - maybe over the telephone - in view of the strange pains in your limbs. Better to have peace of mind and be told all is well. LadyPink
    • Posted

Thanks for this. Funnily enough the pains seem to be diminishing. Thanks for the other info re: thrush. I am clear on why I'm being prescribed HRT .. Reduced Estrogen thins the walls of organs, and skin, and the bladder, or my bladder, gets inflamed very easily, so increased Estrogen will hopefully improve the walls of my bladder. HRT can help with urinary problems apparently.. That's the only reason I want to take it. So fingers crossed. 

Thanks 

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I'm pleased to hear things seem a little better today. Mmm, yes I know all about the thinning of the skin etc, it just seems rather extreme to prescribe Livial. I took HRT because of awful day-long sweats, vagueness, mood swings, forgetfulness, depression, lethargy, loss of libido etc. A really close friend of mine with your symptoms of cystitis and thrush etc was treated with oestrogen cream for the thinning of the vagina and antibiotics for recurring bladder infection/irritation.

Well, I hope all continues to settle down for you and that you are able to continue on Livial - as for me it was a life saver. All the best, LadyPink

• Posted

Thanks. I will check with the doctor, but I've tried every antibiotic under the sun and oestrogen pessaries, but no change. 

Not tried cream though. 

Thanks 

Lizie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.