Pain in lower left side, but Diverticular Disease in Ascending Colon? Anyone had similar

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, Here is my story

Started getting niggling pains in lower left abdomen in Sept 19, and discovered my ovarian cyst had returned. Then in Nov 19 pain got a lot worse radiating into groin, upper leg and back.

It was aggravated by walking exercises.

Gynaecologist said it couldn't be the cyst as it was small, could be a bowel problem.

Had stool sample taken but negative and pain eventually calmed back down to niggling, but throughout 2020 it gradually became more persistent with what I can only describe as more painful flare ups, In meantime the cyst got larger and became complex. Still in June Gynaecologist was not worried, even though I am post menopausal. When I said I was still in pain they agreed to put my on waiting list for surgery but said to investigate again whether it was bowel issue as I had lost weight as well.

A CT Colonography diagnosed Diverticular disease in Ascending Colon on right side.

I have no symptoms apart from the lower left pain problems, so I still thought it was a cyst problem.

GP also agreed the pain was unlikely to be caused by diverticular disease as it was on the other side.

Saw Gynaecologist to discuss surgery a couple of months ago and he said removing the cyst may not resolve the issue and it may STILL be a bowel issue even though I explained the results of the investigation

I am continuing to get these bad bouts of pain, and am beginning to wonder if in fact it is diverticulitis even though the disease is on the right side? I asked a guts charity but they werent sure.

Has anyone here had the same experience?

It would be handy to either rule it out and just be patient that surgery will solve the problem, or to do something about it, as its going to be a long time before the cyst is removed.

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

has no one suggested a C.T scan , or an M.R .I both of these show all abdomen troubles . Might be worth your while to ask . But in saying that,, a Colonoscopy is usually very good at showing everything, If there are any polyps in the colon they are removed there and then .

Jacqueline

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jacqueline. Yes I did have it investigated.

Two failed colonoscopies due to throwing up Movieprep and Picolax and finally a CT Colonography. They found diverticular disease on the ascending colon (right side) but my pain is lower left, where my ovarian cyst is.

I am on a long waiting list to have the cyst removed anyway, but the gynaecologist said it may not resolve the pain issue and it may still be a bowel issue.

So in the meantime I was just wondering if anyone else had diverticular disease on the right side but pain on the left. I dont have any other symptoms of divertilitis apart from lower left pain (for the last year and a half).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.