Pain in lower rib and side, 8 months ongoing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I hope someone can shed some light for me on what is fast ruining my life!

Mid 50s woman, bit overweight, reasonably active housewife, good, happy life. No history of bone, joint, muscle pain. No injuries or other obvious reasons for ongoing pain.

Felt pain first in breast, so went to clinic for mamo and ultrasound. All OK and Dr there said "it's costochondritis, see orthopedics".

By now the pain had travelled to my side and also has occasional day trips clear across other side of my body to the left. Sometimes it hands out in a shoulder blade, but the right lower ribs are favourite.

Orthopedics did xrays, (clear) and though it couldn't be costo because it's not on left side, nor near the sternum. Ladies, it's basically where your bra goes around the side from under boob to just under right shoulder blade. So ortho sent me to GI.

GI did a CT of abdomen and other than diverticulitis (which I knew I had), found nothing. Did a colonoscopy for the DD and found nothing.

Had one physio which made it 10x more sore. Didn't follow up.

Went away eventually after 6 months and I had a fabulous Xmas time, so grateful it to be in unexplained pain.

But it's come back! Seems just the same as before, travels a bit, swaps sides sometimes, accompanied by sleeplessness and worry about cancer and some horror missed diagnosis. I have a nice Dr and he has been reassuring. The CT, the US, were all fine. Had bloods but other than the ALP being high end of normal and high cholesterol and uric acid, it was fine. He said the cholesterol and uric acid would go with weight loss. Nobody seems to know what the ALP might mean but equally nobody worried as it's high, but still within normal.

Inclined to self diagnose fibromyalgia, although I do not get headaches and am not anxious or depressed.

Right now the pain is in my right underarm for a change and is accompanied by slight swelling there.

Any thoughts, where do I go next?! Thank you

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi, so sorry to hear you are going through this. I am going through something very similar for the last 6 months too! So many tests/scans. Nothing ever shows. Where it once was constant, it now comes and goes (good days and bad days) but always there to a degree... do you ever have back pain or is it all front/sides for you? Wishing you well

• Edited

Hi, sorry to hear you are going thru similar. Yes occasional in my back but mostly not. Altho this week it has been joined by arm and wrist pain. Argh!!

• Edited

If you've had a CT and blood work it's unlikely to be anything sinister so try not to worry. To diagnose Fibromyalgia you need to see a rheumatologist. Can you get your GP to refer you? Assuming you're in the UK?

• Edited

Thank you, I'm a Brit but currently working in the middle east and have private medical. Made appt with rheumatologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.