Pain in midriff area

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have GERD, IBS and Diverticular so my stomach is always a bit off.  For past year have been moaning to GP about pain in the midriff area, between sternum and belly button so right around middle at front.  GP say's there is nothing in that area to hurt apart from colon etc, but this pain stings and burns and today whilst driving home I was rubbing the area and pressing it and squeezed my little spare tyre and it was agony. To be blunt can fat hurt, I am not obese but do have a bit of excess around the middle and the skin all around this area is painful to touch.  I looked up images of stomach etc and it is too low down for most organs and I doubt I would be able to press my intestines that easily.  Confused, any thoughts appreciated.   

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor is pants go back and see someone entirely different. 
    • Posted

Yes, I agree but mine apparently has IBS and GERD so just said it was all connected.  She does not have the pain in the area I do, but will have to get another opinion.  I am UK and our appointment wait time is 4 - 5 weeks so we have to suffer for ages before even being seen.
    • Posted

IBS and GERD are connected; this information is correct.  I have both GERD and IBS. Everyone's IBS pain is different.

• Posted

IBS pain can be felt just about anywhere.  You can feel pain or burning in your sternum from heartburn and it can radiate round your midriff.  Sore to touch pain is very common with IBS.  I have had four different types of pain: dull, deep grinding, stabbing and sore to touch. See a different doctor and ask for an antispasmodic like Buscopan.

• Posted

I agree ibs annoyingly moves around as I've found today.  The pain hits been horrendous and stopped me in my tracks. 

• Posted

I had bad stress the other day and my IBS pain was barely noticeable.  I also had some stress while on holiday in July and although I had no pain, I had bad diarrhoea for three days.  IBS is so unpredictable.
    • Posted

Hi, I just really thought IBS was in sides rather than all over, but as everyone says there is more to it than I realised.  I do have buscopan and another kind, used to be Colofac.  But even with these the burning is still there.  As I am typing it is on left side and middle.  So annoying. The stabbing and burning is the worst.  Take care
    • Posted

I have generalised stomach pain with my IBS mostly. However, it can move about to both my left and right side and middle.  I even have had back pain with it.  Antispasmodics tend to reduce the pain but don't get rid of it entirely.  I find Nurofen and Buscopan very effective.   However, there are other antispasmodics you could try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.