Pain in muscles around knee joint and tightening around knee joints

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear forum members,

I am 59 and a house wife. Last two years I am suffering from pain around knee caps( sometimes in muscles below knee cap and sometimes in knee cap). Seen five orthopaedicians. X-rays and MRI done. All found normal. Underwent physiotherapy and heat therapy of legs. Have taken calcium supplements. No relief!

went to neuro surgeon. X-ray of back bone normal. Was given Gabantin 100 mg for 5 months. Some relief. Now discontinued. But pain and tightening around knee caps resumed.

Whom else should I see? Anyone with similar symptoms who recovered? Any home therapy possible without drugs?

I will be grateful if someone shares his/her experience and guides me.

regards,

Musicmummy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried professional massage, chriopractor or acupuncture? If the mri doesn't s h ow anything a bone scan probably won't either but might be an option as last resort. Generally, if regular PT hasn't helped its hard to find an answer without specific damage. Best of luck and let us know how its going .
    • Posted

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to follow on acupuncture and hydrotherapy. I will post the results/experience after the treatment.

Regards,

Musicmummy

• Posted

Difficult to advise you really.

When I had a similar problem, x ray showed severe osteoarthritis and I had had previous surgery on my knee so a different situation really.

I ended up having Total Knee Replacement 3 years ago which has been a complete success.

You could try hydrotherapy or just go swimming. If yu swim try not to do too much breast stroke, better on your back really.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you Sarah.

I am going to follow on Acupuncture and Hydrotherapy. I will post my experience in this forum. As intermediate measure, can i continue Gabantin 100 mg? Will there be any side effects?

Regards,

Musicmummy

• Posted

Never heard of Gabantin so no idea about side effects I'm afraid. Sarah
  • Posted

It could be: the kneecap itself, the underside can go soft (Chondromalacia patellae).  It is painful and is cured by the removal of the kneecap.  Much better than a total replacement. Have they checked the placement of your tendon. (Think they would have to do an arthroscopy to have a look (replacement of tendon would be needed)). Or it could be debris catching between the joints, would not necessarily show on x-rays but the arthroscopy would show it up. If there is any clicking; you may need to build up your quads. Until they know what it is, should imagine the most they would prescribe is paracetamol or an anti-inflammatory if there is any swelling.  Don't give up fighting, you know your knees, if they hurt, there is a cause!  They may even say "it's in your head and you are "imagining it".  Do not give up x
    • Posted

Thank you Sueisobel. I am going to follow on Hydrotherapy and Acupincture. I want to avoid taking drugs. As an intermediate relief, I may resume Gabantin 100mg for a short while.

Regards,

Musicmummy

• Posted

Hydrotherapy is good as you can exercise without pain, but don't overdo it as you will ache more after.  Acupuncture is also good.  If you are not successful, get them to look at the underside of your kneecap.  Good luck x
    • Posted

I wish you luck, as regard to pain, it can drain you if you do not take relief.  Good luck and keep us posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.