Pain in my femur since hip replacement. Is this normal?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a full hip replacement 6 months ago.  Since the surgery, I've been experiencing an aching pain that runs from the top of my femur down to mid femur.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the metal part that was hammered into the bone to hold the joint in place.  It hurts when the weather is cold and/or if I carry anything over 10 lbs.  I'm hoping that this pain is just short term.  Is there anyone else out there who is having or has had the same issue?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you have a physio dept at hospital , I'd give them a ring as it could be the weight you carried and your body is still healing I was told it takes a full 12 months for complete recovery, good luck Kimberley

• Posted

I now live in the US.  All I have to do is contact my surgeons office and he will send the necessary paperwork for me to go to the Physical Therapist of my choice.  My insurance will then cover the cost.  It's been quite a while since I was in England and used the National Health system.  So I'm not really sure how things work at your end.  I really believe that my weight is a contributor.  I'm working really hard to lose as much as possible.  I was always very active until I started getting unbearable pain in my hip.  I'm determined to get my life back.  Thanks Angiesmile

• Posted

hi kimberley,  warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies - I have not much to add ...keep in mind that a great deal [color=#333333]great deal of the recovery takes place in the first two months, but complete return to normal takes longer. [/color][color=#333333]Bone, aliving tissue, around the metal parts keeps changing and remodeling for 1 to 2 years after surgery, which is why you can feel aches and seem to be sensitive to weather changes ...[/color] =14pxKimberley, you are worried enough to post this discussion, so maybe make an appointment with your surgeon prior March 31st -, just to be safe ,,, =14pxI am with you on the extra weight and congratulations on the weight loss so far ... =14pxbig warm hug and let us know how you are getting on=14pxrenee   
    • Posted

Hi Renee, thank you for the encouraging words.  It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this.  It's only been 6 months, and my doctor told me that it would take a good year.  I'm a little impatient sometimessmile  I'm just ready to get back to a normal life without pain... hopefully.  I'm now taking this whole thing seriously and realize that I will have to put more effort into helping the recovery.  Obviously, the surgery is just the start.  The rest is up to me.  Take care.

• Posted

I have hear of this.It can directly or indirectly correspond to the stem.I hope your body learns to accommodate it with time.I think otherwise it will be symptomatic treatment.Wishing you well
  • Posted

Hi Kimberley!  Just catching up on emails.  I'm 15 mo post op and still experiencing thigh aches.  Surgeon was thinking of doing a revision but wants to give it more time.  Mine was cementless and we think it's just taking a long time for the bone to grow around the stem.  So, trying to be patient.  I know that exercising and gentle yoga really help.  I think the key is to keep moving.  I started taking a K2 vitamin supplement as I read that it helps in bone growth. Trying everything!  Hang in there, this proceedure takes way longer than I ever dreamed it would!

• Posted

Hi Ann,  I've started walking every night and gentle stretches.  It seems to have helped a lot.  I'll have to look for some K2 vitamins.  Yes, I'm willing to try just about anything that is recommended for quicker healing.  Thanks so muchsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.