Pain in my knee and hip

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 10 weeks right tkr but over the last couple of days since I have been back at work when I walk I am getting a clicking and locking in my non operated knee and a searing stabbing pain in my left hip. I also am finding that I am able to less walking than I could at 7 weeks and it takes me 2 days of doing nothing until I'm feeling anywhere near normal again. Is this a normal part of my recovery as it's starting worry me I've never had this hip pain before and when it happens it's actually making me cry out. Thanks in advance x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have osteoarthritis in your left knee? I had a TKR on my left knee 5 weeks ago and on my right knee 9 weeks ago. When I was walking any length after my left kneecwas done and before my right knee was done I would get pain in my right hip. I think it was because my left leg was straight after surgery and right leg still bowed so the hip joint wasn't properly aligned. Since having my right knee done I don't get pain in my hip when walking. Maybe you need to get your left knee checked out, or at least see your physio to get some exercises to help strengthen the muscles around your hip. 
    • Posted

I'm back at the consultant on 15th December so I will get him to check my left knee out I hope it is just the way I'm walking as really don't want to go through this all again just yet was hoping I'd got a while before having to have the other one done x
  • Posted

hi Joanne.... my non operated knee has given way a few times .. and is a bit achey... I do think it is because my operated knee is now straight and my gait has changed my back does get a bit sore ... my physio said it's because of the change in posture and I'm using muscles not been using for ages..... good luck. x
  • Posted

You could have developed bursitis in your hip fr favoring your operated knee.  Ice it when ever you can and try not to limp.  Sounds like you need to develop and make strong the muscles around both of your knees.  That will eliminate a lot of the pain you are having.  Just go on line and there are dozens of good post tkr exercises to do.  I went and got a massage and its worked wonders for my legs.  Especially the hamstrings.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.