Pain in my right side and vagina

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 10 1/2 weeks post anterior and posterior repair plus vaginal hernia repair. I was feeling so much better kind of as if I had made a corner so to speak. My son, daughter-in-law and three grandkids came for a Mother’s Day visit Friday afternoon to Saturday morning. My husband did all the cooking and everyone was mindful of my surgery. “Mother be careful...sit down you need to take it easy”, words I am not used to hearing from my kiddos! So I did not lift anything but was up and down and walked a lot plus stayed up past midnight. Today, my second son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren came for Mother’s Day. Again, my husband did all the cooking. I did sweep the floor but only with a broom. I was walking outside with the grandgirls and my right lower midsection started hurting with a pretty sharp pain. I have taken Ibuprofen but it still hurts and my plevic floor feels pressure.

I know I did not lift or pull anything to cause damage to my repairs but I did do a bit of bending. I am sure praying that I have just done too much.

I shake my head when I think my dr said my recovery would be about 2 months!!! If it was not for this forum I would be a basket case thinking that something must be wrong with me and that I was just a whimp!!

Has anyone developed a pretty sharp pain in their lower abdomen? I am not liking this slow recovery at all but feeling pretty happy my kiddos came for a visit no matter!! I am just hoping all is good.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope the pain has settled by now Brenda. You may have jumped to third base instead of second with all your visitors!!

I do get really really annoyed with the underestimation of the recovery time. All it does is make us all feel that our progress is not on track.  More realism would prevent repeat surgery but I suppose that’s what keeps them employed. 

Peta 

• Posted

It’s taken me two years, and still have pressure if I do too much. My gynae said it’s a hard surgery and a slow recovery. The one who did the surgery told me nothing at all.

Take care, you will always be different now, you need to look after your repairs.

• Posted

Thank you, Peta and Laura! Peta I like how you said I might have jumped to third base instead of second and funny enough I was watching a baseball game when I read your reply. I do think you are right even though I felt like I had done very little as far as activity was concerned. Oh, Laura, I was truly hoping "normal" would be back around 6 months but your experienced voice is telling maybe I should not get my hopes up! I am reminding myself that as rough and long as this recovery has been, it is still worth it when I am walking along and my body part is not falling out between my legs!!! I am just praying that it all holds forever.

I am feeling much better after resting all day Monday. I think this recovery is much easier for those who enjoy sitting on the couch and not being active...but I am not one of those folks!

So glad we have the support of one another!

• Posted

Hi Brenda

I am currently 5 weeks posterior, anterior repair and vaginal hysterectomy.   I have been taking things easy but managed to build my walking up to about 20-30 minutes a day, but today I have started with very sharp pains in my vagina and am having to lie down as it is too uncomfortable to sit up.   Just wondered if you had these pains earlier on in your recovery or if yours have only just started?  Not sure if it is just to do with my body healing and any remaining stitches pulling.  My recovery is definitely not as fast as explained in all the leaflets and have only stopped having to use painkillers over the last 10 days.  Just get so worried when my recovery doesn’t fit what I have been told and there is no one to assure you that there is nothing wrong.

Tina x 

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Yes I did have pains as you described and often pains in my lower abdomen, too. It just seems that what we are told about our recoveries and what actually happens does not match up at all. I am guessing that none of the folks writing the information or doctors telling us what to expect has ever had these procedures. My advice to you is to put all that info aside and focus your attention on this forum. I found that my body let me know when I was doing too much and when it was going through healing stages. It is much like a roller coaster in that there are days when you feel so much better even like you have made a corner so to speak only to find out that another pain pops up or pressure or both. It is truly a long recovery journey. I will be 3 months post surgery and still have bouts of pressure and bloating if I stand too long or do too much. Hang in there and remind yourself that this is one area that our health folks could use some help getting their information right. Prayers for a complete recovery for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.