Pain in neck, collar bone and shoulders when drinking alcohol??

Posted , 6 users are following.

For ages now I seem to get a horrible type of pain in my neck, collar bone and shoulders when drinking alcohol! It's not every time and sometimes if i'm drinking for example wine, one session I can be fine on it, the next time I drink wine it can cause the pain. It can vary between what I drink and how much. It's a horrible achy, gnawing pain and it's so uncomfortable and it won't go unless I either stop drinking for 20 mins or if I make myself sick it'll go instantly. 

It's so annoying does anyone know what this could be? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No, but I've got a solution - stop drinking. If you stopped drinking for, for example, a week and you had no pain you'd know what to do ..... t-total. If the pain persists time for a trip to your G.P. to get it sorted out.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I have the exact same thing happen to me.  It has been ages for me as well.  I just went to the Doctor.  She had never heard of such a thing.  I also have had swollen lymph nodes.  It is scary, because when you google (pain from alcohol) it mentions lymphoma.  Things have settled for me I am supposed to have an ultrasound, but I have not yet.  Any recent news about you?
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I have been having the same issue with pain in my collar bone after drinking occasionally!  And I’m freaking out as well because lymphoma is the 1st thing that pops up! Did the lumps mean anything? 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I have struggled with this same problem.  It has been off and on for a number of years.  In April of 2018 I went to the doctor.  She was insensitive and said "simple solution, stop drinking1". I am also an occasional drinker and it made me feel pretty bad.  Anyway I also had a lump in my groin.  She did send me in for an ultrasound.  I was convinced I had lymphoma.  I had pain in my collar bone, groin and in my right leg and hip.  I DID NOT have lymphoma though.  I did have a hernia in my groin.  That was causing the leg pain.  I still do not know why I have pain when drinking alcohol.  I just wanted to reach out to you, because I was also freaking out.  Maybe this will provide you with some comfort.  

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank God you don’t have lymphoma! I too like to enjoy a glass of wine Occasionally! But it has scared me into not drinking! How where you tested for the lymphoma if you don’t mind me asking?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

After a bit of research in my haematooncology book here is what i found.First of all pain after alcohol consumption is very rare symptom for lymphoma.Also almost all lymphoma cases with pain after alcohol are burkitt lymphoma,which is a very fast growing tumor(it shows symptoms very quickly).Do not worry about lymphoma.Could be a liver issue though.
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up