Pain in opposite knee

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a RTHR 6 weeks ago and cannot believe how much better I feel, pain gone, and life getting back to normal.  I was apprehensive about the op, but can truly say, it's been one of the best things I have done, I hadn't realized just how bad things were, but now that they are so much improved, I feel wonderful.       However,  for the past few days I have had pain in my left leg, mainly around my knee which I now cannot straighten.   Walking is painful, not from my new hip, but my left knee.  

I know I have osteoarthritis also in my left hip and wonder if this could be the cause.  I am due to see surgeon next week for my post op check and hopefully be signed off to drive again and get back to work, and wondered if I should mention the issues in my left knee, or is this a separate issue I need to go back to my GP about. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Mention it to the surgeon first. I had knee pain post op as my muscles and gait realigned to what it should be. Before the op I was compensating, as most of us do, by finding a way to walk with minimal pain.

Having said that it could be referred pain from the unoperated hip or a problem with the knee as you fear.

It may be a visit to your GP is also called for

• Posted

It could be many things, as you suggest OA in the other hip, or the fact that you have been relying on the left leg to help with recovery from a right leg THR and have put extra strain on the left leg and knee.

We had one lady on here (Gabby) a couple of years ago who had massive problems with her opposite knee, but she is much better now.

Definitely mention the pain to the surgeon, he will then advise on the best steps to take to get your knee sorted out.

• Posted

I had the same thing after having my right hip replaced. I have been told that my left hip is a bit iffy. For some unknown reason the knee pain is now improving and I can pretty well straighten out my leg. 
  • Posted

When you have the post op checkup, it's important to share any issues with the surgeon.

• Posted

Yep, everything is realigning itself, perhaps get some ice on your knee ? Since my left hip op now nearly 2 years ago, I've had problems with left knee, tore right calf muscle and pulled Achilles and now my left foot is hurting 👣. I'm hoping this is the last thing now. LTHR is wonderful though so it was worth it. 😀

• Posted

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I had my post op check with the consultant yesterday.   My new hip is fabulous, no problem at all.  He asked me how my left hip is doing as I also have arthritis in it.   I mentioned pain in my left knee so he sent me for an X-ray.  Upshot is, he has listed me for left THR  but also says my left knee is shot and I need a replacement.  

This came out of the blue, I am wondering if I'll ever get to the  end of surgery ??????  Has anyone else faced this after their THR ops?   

Thank you 

• Posted

Yeah, both my knees are dodgy, creak and pop like anything. Not particularly painful though so ignoring them at the moment. 🚶

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I'm sort of thinking along those lines myself, I will get my second hip done, then see how I manage with my knee.     I'm going back to work next week, having just been off almost 8 weeks for this hip, will be off the same again for my second hip, I darent tell them that I'll be off again for a knee replacement.......  👩🏻?💻🤦???

• Posted

i am due to have Rh hip reolacement in October. my Lh knee has flared up so badly. I do have osteoarthritis in that knee. Now I'm wondering how I get rid of knee pain as it's worse than my hip pain. Any ideas?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.