pain in other leg!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I havd a tkr on right knee 5 weeks ago and was doing really well, then I went for hydro on Tuesday and been in agony ever since. My left knee and hip has decided to play up,the pain is worse than my knee, has anyone else had this problem and what do I do please?????

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackieyj,

I'm only 3.5 weeks post op for TKR but have had varying aches and pains on my 'good' side too ... It was explained to me that because of the extra emphasis we've been putting on our 'good' sides, it isn't unusual to feel aches and pains on that side. Also because we are now improving our gait on the side that was previously our 'bad' side, all sorts of aches can be expected while we 'readjust' our correct posture. 

I'm sure someone with more time post op will be able to shed more light on this for you, but I think this may be why you're so sore. Why after Hydro, is something I'm not sure of, haven't ventured into the pool myself yet. That's my next step.

Cheers,

Lindy from Oz.

TKR 27/5/15

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I put a terrible strain on my opposite hip when initially walking around the streets, where the camber slopes.  It took some time to get over it (and didn't help my TKR recovery), but all you can do is rest really.

Patsy

• Posted

You have to be very careful with exercises in the hydrotherapy pool. Because of trhe warm water, it's easy not to realise how much you are doing. . fifteen to twenty minutes is more than enough to begin with, until your muscles are stronger.  I stayed for an hour the first time, loveing the feeling of the warm water, but the next day was one of the worst I've ever had.  It's not exactly that hydrotherapy is bad for you . .it just has to be approached with caution to begin with.  A day or two's rest will put you right I hope!
  • Posted

Yes I had exactly the same thing happen after hydro.  It's because you are doing far more exercise than you realise when you are in the water.  My surgeon told me to work through it and not to stop the exercises just because it is painful...easier said than done.   Good luck and keep smiling.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.