pain in pelvis/very low abdomen when urinating and takes forever to pee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, so im an 18 year old female and have been having some weird things going on for months now that i chalked up to stress due to my fathers passing but some symptoms i cant really brush off so im looking to some advice/any one else whose had similar symptoms, but please bare in mind i'll be visiting my GP in the following week so i've got that covered. basically i constantly have a deep, dull ACHE in my flank area that somtimes wraps round to the front or extends to the lower back. its a constant dull ache, unaffected by anything i do. it doesnt matter if im sitting or walking. its there when i wake up and go to bed and its there everyday. obviously at some parts of the day the pain gets better but generally its a CONSTANT dull ache in my flank or sides and its its more annoying and uncomfortable than extremely painful if that makes sense. Now as of recent, i've been having pain when urinating. not the usual stinging like u get with UTI's but like at the end of urination and sometimes the start, theres this seriously uncomfortable pain type feeling in either my VERY lower middle abdomen so basically the top of my pelvis or i feel the dicomfort where i "THINK" my bladder is. its as if i can literally feel the urine stream closing but i feel it where my pelvis is??? idek if any of what i just said makes sense tbh but ya. another thing is, i takes me FOREVER to pee. its not like i've got this "ohmygod im gonna die if i dont pee my bladder is so full" kinda ordeal going. but i get the general sensation that "oh its time to pee" like ive always gotten and like any normal person gets but when i go its takes me a solid 5-15 minutes to start a urine stream. idek all these symptoms are so weird and unlike anything ive experienced i was wondering if someone could maybe put them insite on what might be happening. thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my first thought in reading about your symptoms is Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. You may want to look it up and see if those are the symptoms you're having. I know if your pelvic floor muscles are too tight, you can have symptoms such as painful urination, difficulty starting and maintaining a urine stream, and pain in the pelvis and lower back.

• Posted

i seached up on that and its seems to be mainly focused around the bowel movements and mine are perfectly fine so i dont think that could be it but you never know. i'll be having a chat with my GP soon so i might bring tht up and see what he thinks of it

• Posted

Pelvic floor dysfunction is super common for women with Interstitial Cystitis (IC) so it can greatly affect the urinary system too. I'm in several IC support groups and so many of those women have super tight pelvic floor muscles which makes their IC worse. It's worth asking your dr about. They'd be able to tell if your pelvic muscles are tight with a pelvic exam.

• Posted

First things first.   You are doing the right thing in going to the Doctors.  Secondly, I had very similar symptoms to you last year and, perhaps I can give you some hope that you can return to normal.  I think your body reacts in a very strange way to stress. and sometimes you have no control over it.    Sometimes I went to the toilet frequently and other times I felt I couldn't go and my muscles were very tense.  I got tested for UTI which came back normal. I had pressure on my bladder and was given overactive bladder medicine but that didn't help me.   I was given blood test to check that the pains in side, front and back flanks werent being caused by my kidneys.   This came back clear.  Ultrasound to check I was eliminating urine and look inside. This too was fine - apart from finding a large fibroid that I didn't know had.   I used to sit on toilet and nothing would come out.   I could feel pain in my bladder area.  I didn't take a cystoscope.    I looked at everything on internet and (as Middlechild also mentioned) I had some symptoms of interstitial cystitis.    We are all different but I followed other people's advice and it definitely helped me.

I took a probiotic,  a fish oil supplement and some turmeric.   I changed to a very bland diet (not sure if this would help you, I felt I had a very raw sore inside bladder) I did pelvic relaxation muscles.   I took alkaline drinks that make you go to toilet e.g. a small piece of crushed ginger in a mug of hot water, lemon in water, nettle tea, marshmallow tea.   When sitting on toilet tell yourself you can go and blow air out your mouth as it is harder to tense your bladder muscles when doing this.   The more you stress the harder it is to go.  Try not to force it.

Am I cured?  No, not 100% but I am 90% better and i'm not in pain.  Whenever i'm stressed my problem returns  but I know how to handle it.   If I need the toilet more often so what.   If I can't go I do what I said above.   Good luck.  I wish there was a quick cure but I doubt anyone could give you that.  Even writing this reply has made me tense my bladder muscles involuntarily as I am remembering my problem.  When I am busy and happy my symptoms are much less if at all.   There is a high possibility your problems have been brought on by the stress of losing your father and, hopefully, time will help you. Good luck at Doctors.   It is best to have the tests to see if there is anything they can treat.  (sorry this is so long but hope it helps other people have similar symptoms)

• Posted

The thing is, that i have no reason to stress anymore at least. I only chalked up my previous symptoms to stress because i was going through my fathers death but even then i could pee regularly even then, i just had chest pain at the time. now i have this ache, and since i last posted it has shifted to only my right side/flank and when i pee shooting pain goes through my flank now, so im starting to get confused with all these symptoms, but i will try ur advice! it means a lot thank you for taking your time out to reply to me
    • Posted

I think it can be stress related too. Usually it's no so simple to recognize stress, you could just see the effects and feel yourself no stressed. It could be UTI or maybe galstone (I guess, I'm not a doctor).

A simple thing that helps me a little bit with stress is having deep breath several times during the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.