Pain in Rib left side

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have a pain in my side on my rib for just over 2 weeks, the pain is quite painful but wouldn't class it as severe. I would say the pain is coming from the lower left ribs On the left side of my body. I went to A&E on Sunday because of the pain, they performed and ECG, Blood Tests, Blood Pressure & Chest X Ray which came back fine, the doctor diagnosed me with an intercostal muscle strain. On Tuesday the pain increased so I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with Costochondritis and prescribed me Co Codamol for the pain. I still worry this could be something else like pancreatitis , do you think that this is possible with all the tests I have had? is it normal to have to have this amount of pain just from a muscle/cartilage?

thanks in advance

David

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The spleen is closer to your left side around the bottom of the rib cage than the pancreas is.. Did you get injured or have an impact in that area recently? 
    • Posted

No recent direct injury that I remember, I did have a motorbike accident a year ago which caused pain in the same place but the hospital said it was bruised ribs and would eventually go in time which it did after a few months. I can't think what it would be. My daughter has been a bit more demanding lately wanting to be picked up all the time but apart from that I don't know. 
  • Posted

Ok it's been a while so here's the update. Had a few more tests, Ultrasound, Stool sample To test for H Pylori and a few more blood tests, everything came back normal. I was referred to the Gastro who has booked me in for an Endoscopy under sedation on the 3rd of March. I'll let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.