Pain in Ribs Following Incorrect Height of Crutch

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 8 weeks post-operative and was doing really well, until recently suffering from a pulled muscle/bruised rib on my non-operative side. I was told to only use one crutch two weeks after my right hip replacement. Four weeks later I started to get really sore ribs. I told my physio who looked at the crutch  and said that she thought it may be due to the crutch being too high. She then measured it against me and adjusted it to the right height.  However it is so painful walking now, that I am trying not to use it. I feel at my wits end as I was progressing pretty well and now it's really painful to practise walking. I have been icing my ribs and taking pain killers again, but I feel really upset as I feel as though I have taken two steps forward and two back. Has anybody else suffered with this?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps it may be worth going back to two crutches whilst your rib is recovering. Not many of us were text book recoveries. Things need to be adapted to circumstances.

• Posted

I really cannot understand the logic of using just one crutch which provides lop sided support. This really is so unhelpful and worse can end up distorting ones back.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I agree with the others, go back to two crutches to spread the load on your body.
    • Posted

I totally agree with you all, but my physio told me to try not use two because it would not strengthen my operated leg. However I have been using two when outside. I think it's more sensible.

• Posted

Dear Yoga lass

I do not understand your physio's reasoning! When walking with two crutches you will be strengthening the muscles on your new hip but because the weight will be partially taken on the crutches it will be a balanced weight at a rate your body is comfortable with and you will be training your body to walk correctly and in a balanced way without limping! You will also avoid putting your back out but hey it's your call.

Good luck. Richard

• Posted

I agree with Richard.  If you are not comfortable with one crutch go back to using two.  My therapist wanted me on just one but I felt lopsided and uncomfortable on one so I just used 2 except on the way into and out of the therapists office.  You still put your weight on your operated leg but you have the crutches you help you keep your balance.
  • Posted

Hi Yoga lass

I had pretty extensive surgery of a faulty hip metal on metal.  After the usual time on a zimmer frame I went to 2 crutches then 1.  I found the same problem as you and decided to do my own thing and went back to 2 crutches and had no more problems.  I then slowly started moving around the house without them then ventured to the front yard and back then a little further until I got confident.  I do not understand the logic of 1 crutch as it creates more problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.