Pain in ribs left side months after gallbladder surgery what could it be?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been getting pain in my left side Lower ribs. it comes and goes but can hit really bad. I had my Gallbladder out in June and haven't had it till now. I've also lost alot of weight 27 nearly 28 kg.

Tried to get into drs but no luck being Xmas and lots of public holidays. Plus my doctor has been away.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

It may not be related to the gall bladder removal as that wä a good few months ago.

I would try not to worry too much and just see Gp as soon as. However if the pain gets unbearable is their an out of hours clinic you could visit?

Good luck let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi, Stef,

You might be forming scar tissue as you heal.  Some of us still have "twinges" from time to time.  One thing I noticed is I have more of them if I spend a lot of the day sitting, so I try to get out and walk as much as I can.

But do go see your doctor.  It woul help us if you got back to us and posted what he or she said.

Thanks!  And, Happy New Year!

• Posted

Sounds like irritation to your pancreas, that's how my pancreas pains present

• Posted

Hello Stef42968,

​ Glad to hear someone else is having this pain.I had my gallstone removed Aug 2,16 and started getting this after sitting several hours at work. I just went to my

​primary doctor last week and explainging to him exactly lower left side ribs he said not to worry nothing is there.

​Possible muscle tention but nothing could be there to cause worry.

​And I have notice since I have been on vacation for an entire week since surgery no long sitting and no pain this week.

​Hope this information helps.

Hope you feel better.

​Deb

• Edited

Could be pancreatic, since the two organs are attached. This is what I think I'm going through. Just had my gallbladder removed last night. When the doctor gets in, I'm going to ask him about this, because the left side hurts worse than the right side with the gallbladder surgery being performed.

• Posted

i got my gb removed three years ago and am having the same issue along with other symptoms. left rib side pain, left shoulder blade pain, acid reflux, anxiety and so many other issues!

• Posted

hi this is me your describing i too had GB removed May 21 first three month ok then started with dull right rib cafe pain visited GP said i was still healing went back 6 months later did CT scan said was ok but a but of scaring but nothing to worry about pain gradually got worse had a couple of tome where it was just like gallbladder attack, i have other symptom pain in middle of back undigested food in my poo(sorry) worse when i eat hardly eating worse when i stand been back to GP waiting fir appointment for another CT scan feel generally unwell and feel like there is something inside me, I'm so anxious i feel fir you

• Posted

I thought I was the only one i have the same issue extreme mid back pain and also bloating but mainly the acid reflux has been horrible. I thought i would be relieved once my gb was out! how wrong i was 😦 and my anxiety has spiked due to this!

• Edited

I am looking for any help i can but can see some messages are 5 yr old , i had my gallbladder removed in may by keyhole surgery , i was discharged 4 weeks after surgery aft 5 weeks i was suffering so bad i did have reflux since i was twenty and i am now seventy so did take one omeperazole a day ive had gastrtis before so i took 4 a day tgat were no help so was told i had bile reflux my operation was in May 2022 its now November 2022 i had an endoscopy tgat shoqed severe gastritis so was put on a stronger tablets plus sachets that i have to take before i eat , the pain i experience is awful

but i do get the pain under and below my ribs all the time some times i have really bad attacks i believe it is bile a but but i need help

• Posted

i know how you are feeling i have got left side pain been sick a lot if gas and acid i had my gallbladder removed 15 months ago i was in hospital last weekend now i am waiting a camera test down hopefully that will give me answers

• Posted

Hi i am also get the left side pain and alot of gas and been sick can,t seem to keep food down was in hospital last weekend because of it nit awaiting a camera test down but under a general i get a lot of acid as well it is awful the pain i had my gallbladder removed 15 months ago the meds do not work that well either

• Posted

Four years post op and ended up in ER yesterday. Extreme spasms in stomach, tightness in stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and pain in upper stomach. Yet again nothing wrong see your primary care doctor. I'm so tired of this and them just brushing it off. Regret taking out my Gallbladder!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.