Pain in right side of abdomen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. Last year I felt a "lump towards my right side of waistline. Over the past year I lost a lot of weight (60lb) by diet and exercise. Had ultrasound and CT scan and nothing. Doc said it might be fatty tissue that just couldn't break down. It seemed to go away. Lastr few weeks, I'm getting a burning, full sensation there. No lump. Anyone have any idea? 38 year old female, gallbladder was removed 20 years ago.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When you say you lost that amount of weight do you mind me asking what weight you were starting off? If you were very heavy the weight you've lost could really be water loss, believe it or not? If not, it's a lot of weight to lose.  Did you have the pain at all when you were losing all that weight, or did you change exercise/diet regime and then feel the pain return? Do you drink alcohol or smoke and is your life normal, ie, happy enough with how it's going along?

• Posted

I started off at 210 lbs and now around 138. I lose weight by diet, exercise and probably stress (getting divorced, single mom, had to start life over).

I do smoke and drink socially. I'm generally happy but sometimes have anxiety and stress issues.

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Gallbladder surgery can cause long term problems. The gallbladder is on your right where you are having pain. The burning sensation could be nerve pain caused by your surgery disturbing a nerve. I have burning sensations in both my arms caused by a blood test injury and a fall.  Ask your doctor about neuropathic pain.
    • Posted

I never had a problem with it before and I had my gallbladder out 20 years ago. Could it take that long? Thanks for the response.
    • Posted

Nerve pain can take a while to develop.  It doesn't always happen immediately. When I fell on my elbow, I initially just had pain from the bang which went away after a few days but it came back chronically six months later.  Over time it gradually developed into nerve pain.  That was over 40 years ago.  Any kind of trauma to the body can cause this.

• Posted

You say that it is a burning sensation. Many times nerves do cause that burning type sensation. I had many stones(in a sludge type substance) in my bile duct,  that did not show up on ANY scans!There is no lump either, however, when you move that area around does it feel as if it is PULLING on something? I have been attempting to make patients on this forum aware of problems related to adhesions. Adhesions are scar tissue which is present in 97% of people that have undergone ANY type of abdominal(peritoneal) surgery. My 20 year battle started with a gallbladder removal. It was radical(very long incision with a T-tube placement for stones in the bile duct....I am sure yours was a much more simple straightforward procedure) in nature so don't assume my problems are what you are enduring!! I just want to advise you as well as other people that the body DOES react to trauma of any kind. In many different ways. Each body on this planet is different and YOU know yours BEST, so do not ALLOW the healthcare professionals to make you feel DUMB for asking questions. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR BODY! YOU are your bodies "ADVOCATE"!! You ask UNTIL YOU FEEL AT PEACE WITH THE ANSWERS YOU ARE GIVEN!!! Please live your life to the fullest, which sometimes involves making health care professionals feel awkward if they can't answer or they make you feel like you are a "DIFFICULT" patient-----so be it, they would not want to suffer either!!!!! IT IS YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH,so do not feel embarrassed or like you are taking to much time!   nal site which healthcare professionals turn to for EMPIRICAL studies on a subject. Of course the JAMA(Journal America Medical Association) is the periodical they read (if they have time). Surgeries have become so common place that the surgeons and follow up medical personnel really just want to remove the infected organ (collect their fee) and move on. They have to pay their mortgage and bills just as we do. The problems after the procedures are becoming more frequent. If we remember for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The body knows that something has happened to it!!! I have read many professional articles in which physicians discount the "after pains". If you would like to see how the body grows this tissue in response to operations as well as the different techniques used, please research "adhesions". This tissue does not show up on any scans either. X_TAYS CAT scans, MRI, or sonograms. I have spent years researching the subject and after being told in the U.S. that I had a "frozen abdomen"(another good subject to google), there was nothing more that could be done for me. My abdomen was completely frozen together from this MONSTER. It was like super glue had been poured into my abdomen and the organs could not move independently. I was bed bound.I did find relief in Germany. I AM NOT SAYING THAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS,HOWEVER, IT IS A SUBJECT THAT SHOULD BE DISCUSSED PRIOR TO SURGERY AND DOCTORS AND SURGEONS ARE NOT MAKING PATIENTS AWARE OF THE PROBABILITY THAT THEY WILL ENCOUNTER SOME FORM OF DISCOMFORT FROM THE NATURAL BODY DEFENSE ALSO KNOWN AS ADHESIONS  or scar tissue in layman's terms. Doctors Bound by Secrecy Victims Bound by Pain is another resource worth checking into. Hope this helps and I pray that this IS NOT what is causing your discomfort. If it gets worse PLEASE check it out. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. It is my goal to raise awareness concerning this subject as my situation had gotten so bad hospice was being considered in 2014. This is an international problem and Scotland is currently conducting studies of all abdominal surgical patients. Each patient receives a number and if they show up to ANY ER within the country they are flagged and followed. Small bowel obstructions are the main concern as the adhesions grow, the fibrous bands of tissue wrap around the intestines and they get strangulated. The adhesion tissue can start as a thin almost membrane type tissue and then eventually they become fibrous bands of tissue containing their own neuronal network as well as vascular network. PLEASE DO NOT BE SCARED, if anything, it sounds as though you have a very slight case. MY ultimate goal is to RAISE AWARENESS concerning this subject and hopefully get patients to INQUIRE and RECEIVE ANSWERS from the SURGEON'S PRIOR to whatever procedure they are encountering.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK YOUR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL ANY QUESTIONS YOU ARE HAVING.....YOU ARE YOUR BODIES ADVOCATE. THERE ARE OVER 7 BILLION DIFFERENT ECOSYSTEMS(bodies)ON THIS PLANET AND EACH ONE HAS IDIOSYNCRASIES. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. YOU KNOW YOUR BODY BETTER THAN ANYBODY...IF YOU DO NOT FEEL AT PEACE ABOUT SOMETHING....DO NOT STOP ASKING UNTIL YOU GET THE ANSWER AND FEEL AT PEACE!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR!

• Posted

This feeling stopped for a while and now seems to be back...I'm just wondering what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.