Pain in shoulder after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, just wondering did anyone have painn in their right shoulder/near chest after surgery.

I said it to the nurse but she told me that people usually feel pain there because of the gas pumped in. I'm just worried about blood clots but she told me you wouldn't feel it there. The ppain seems to come back when the pain killers are wearing off.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I felt the same pains. More so in my right shoulder but also shoulder chest area. I used a heating pad which helped quit a bit along with the pain meds. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

You're in pain because some of the gas they inject needs to dissipate through your tissues.  There is no way to predict where the gas will end up, and sometimes it can be painful.  For me, I was most uncomfortable at 4-6 days after surgery from the gas, but after that, I gradually started to feel better.  

Just try to take it easy, and Maureen's suggestion to use a heating pad is certainly a good one!

• Posted

I did. It was horrible and stayed for about a week after surgery. Supposedly it is a nerve path. My massage therapist was able to help me with that lots.

Good luck with the recovery and watch the fats you eat, the body is never the same after.

• Posted

I was sore a good 2-3 days after surgery. Off meds by day 3 - keep walking around and stretching your arms/shoulders. Help it move out of your muscles.
  • Posted

So I just had surgery Thursday and am home as of Friday haven't taken any pain meds but shoulders an back of neck are sore so heat will help? Don't really want to take any more meds for pain I feel like I had enough in the hospital

• Posted

I had sporadic pain in the right sholder for up to 3 days after my surgery. It wasn't intense, more of the feeling of having a dead arm and uncomfortable to keep in one position. I found making circular motions with the painful arm to help (seemed to disperse some of the co2).

Regarding the meds, my nurse told me to take coedine/ibuprofen/paracetamol regularly and before the pain sets in, which seems to have worked. I was woken up at 1am on the 2nd night post-op with pain in my abdomen which a couple of ibuprofen soon sorted out. I'm 5 days post-op now and haven't needed any pain relief since Friday.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.