Pain in sternum when lifting heavy objects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone that suffers from acid reflux feel pain in the breastbone that is worse when lifting heavy objects. I do have acid reflux and get pain in my breastbone but I don’t know if it’s normal to also feel pain when lifting heavy objects or if this is Something else.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I suffer reflux and yes definitely get very bad breast bone pain when I lift heavy objects

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know this is normal as I tend to worry too much and think it’s my heart. How long have you been suffering and how do you treat your symptoms? I had an allergic reaction to a ppi protonix so I had to stop taking any ppi in case I’m allergic to all of them. I Had taken nexium in the past and it would work right away and after a couple months I could stop and the acid reflux would stay away for years but now that doesn’t seem to be the case so I hope I didn’t do any permanent damage to my sphincters. I had two endoscopies and both were normal and showed very minimal acid so it’s all just very mind boggling as to why I’m experiencing this and how I can feel better.
  • Posted

Thanks for letting me know this is normal as I tend to worry too much and think it’s my heart. How long have you been suffering and how do you treat your symptoms? I had an allergic reaction to a ppi protonix so I had to stop taking any ppi in case I’m allergic to all of them. I Had taken nexium in the past and it would work right away and after a couple months I could stop and the acid reflux would stay away for years but now that doesn’t seem to be the case so I hope I didn’t do any permanent damage to my sphincters. I had two endoscopies and both were normal and showed very minimal acid so it’s all just very mind boggling as to why I’m experiencing this and how I can feel better.
    • Posted

I'm suffering two years now, I take omeprazole twice a day any time I try to come off them I get really bad symptoms, I'm hoping for another endoscopy soon, I find keeping my diet ad plain as possible helps

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear that. Do you also get pressure in your breastbone area or a quivering feeling in that area when you breathe in? I have both symptoms and they just feel different then what I’ve felt in the past, it’s really starting to get me down. I also have a lot of back pain with it.
    • Posted

Yes I do, sometimes I can't breathe in a deep breath from the pressure it's like there's a cement block pressing on my chest, I get very bad pain in my back between my shoulder blades when it's flaring up badly, it takes months for the ppi to make a difference, but cleaning up the diet seems to help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.