Pain in thawing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For those who have recovered, did you have pain while thawing?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I currently are in the frozen stage of my 3rd frozen shoulder. Both previous frozen shoulders caused me alot of pain in all 3 stages. i expect this one to be the same

• Posted

Yes, there can be pain during the thawing stage. I didn't get the electric-shock zingers like at the early stages, but it was certainly painful when pushed too far outside the comfort zone. The literature makes it seem like the stages are clear and distinct, but that's not really the case. Like most things, there are caveats. For example, I can imagine that you could revert back into the inflammatory freezing stage if you suffered an injury mid-thaw. But in any case, if you've stopped getting worse, you're on your way out!

• Posted

Thanks for your responses. Yes, the literature/medical professionals make it sound like just the freezing stage is painful, but I think I'm going to have pain the entire course. Just when I think it is letting up, I have some bad days which makes me think I'm going nowhere fast. Hang in there everyone!

• Posted

Yes, I had pain until just recently. I went from freezing to thawing and then I had rotator cuff issues due to no mobility for over a year. Just over the last couple months it has gotten so much better. This has been a 2 and a half year process.

• Posted

Good to hear you're on the mend! What type of rotator cuff issues? I know I should start strengthening, but trying to let the pain come down a bit first. Did you use your arm much or do gentle exercises along the way?

• Posted

During the freezing stage, my "gentle exercises" consisted of just daily life chores, not the officially-sanctioned ones they give you at the doc's. I gently rode my bike, made my bed, weeded the garden, put the dishes away -- just to keep active and moving. But now that I'm in a less painful stage, I'm actively trying to reach further, put up a higher pony tail, make the bed in one flick, get that seatbelt. But I don't want to aggravate it. It took months for the first FS to completely be free of adhesions, and I'd find tight areas here and there for a long time. But I didn't Rambo my way through all the exercises they gave me, and I got 100% ROM back.I expect the same will happen with this current FS, as the time line seems to be right on track as the other.

• Posted

Thanks for the detailed reply Hoosier! I've got one frozen with very little motion and the other still freezing and just as limited. I recently started back to work on light duty but am fearful that the activity is extending my recovery as the pain is worse, and I now have muscle pain across chest/shoulders/neck which is likely due to the other muscles trying to compensate for lack of shoulder motion. I thought my first shoulder was starting to thaw before I started back to work, but maybe that was wishful thinking - just hope I'm not scaring away the thaw with returning to work. Basic daily tasks are challenging/painful right now. So trying to figure the best path out of this! Good to hear you got your motion back with the first shoulder! What a strange condition this is!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.