Pain in the backside. Advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to progress my situation. I'll keep it as brief as possible, any advice welcome.

In a nutshell I have a soft tissue problem in the very base of spine, the result of 2+ discs herniating issues, that makes sitting for any kind of peiod extremely painful and prevents any sitting for several days or more. Some chairs are better than other though ultimately there is a ceiling on how much I can sit and this places massve restriction on my life and work. I often joke that most people spend more time sitting in a day than I do in a year and this is no exaggeration.   The issues is predominantly the tissue tearing, getting angry though I also have sciatic pain in my ankle (though this is not the prohibitive issue). 

My history is that I've had at least two major traumas to my lower back, the first some 8 years ago, that had classic indications of a herniating disc (radiating numbness) and lots of pain, inflamation. This first episode resolved in some months and I was able to return to normal work (including sitting). After a year or so in fairly manual job that included the nightmare combination of intermittent heavy lifting and lots of sitting the issue erupted again. However this time whilst it did improve, it has never sufficiently improved for me live and work normally.

I should say after the first major episode, I was scheduled a scan (some several months later) that too my eternal regret I did not make (I went for the appointment but got lost en route and since I was symptom free at the time I did not re-arrange). Doctors since have not pushed for a scan since:

a) It is likely soft tissue and not much to see

b) I seem to have fairly normal existence

c) It would not change the treatment

In any case, what if anything do you guys propose I do? I have seen multiple physiotherapists and have improved my posture, lost weight, improved my core strength. I have tried chair after chair with cushions, supports, etc etc. I also do light-manual work that has some benefit but is ultimately probably not helpful (it has removed much of the light aggravation but has exposed me to more intermittent and sever aggravation if that makes sense). In any case how can I improve my situation? Not being able to sit, whilst it may seem mildly humourous is actually life-wrecking..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I thinking get a scan, even if I have to pay for it. It should yield some useful information.
  • Posted

Hello Andrew,  I do sympathize with you in that i suffer with the bottom of my spine, thou mine is Osteoarthritis.  I have problems sitting and can only sit for short periods as every chair is uncomfortable.  I would suggest you go for that scantell your GP that your back as worsened and you need a proper diagnosis so that you can get the right treatment.  

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks, Elizabeth. Yeah, I've resolved to get a private scan, since my doctor wont authorise a scan. I woud need to let it get much worse and/or stamp my feet and even then that might not persuade them (and would be pretty foolish). The problem is that I don't really communicate how practically limited I am. I don't think they believe I spend 99% of my time either lying on my chest or standing (or believe that the issue is not intrinsically bad and that I am over-reacting). Essentially I get a blanket indifference, it's classic  NHS: squeaky wheel get's the oil. The other point is that, like I say, a scan might not be the magic bullet and for that reason it is probably not economic for the nhs to be paying for something if there isn't a certain benefit. After such a long time I'll take a punt on some useful information coming out of it.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the MRI scan is the way to go. It might not show everything, but at least you have a starting point, When I asked for one 10 years ago and knowcked back by my GP I was working in the Pharma industry as a rep, and had private medical ins, had a huge flare up and told him to write me a letter to see an orthopaedic surgeon and withing 10 days I had an MRI scan. You only have to wait 6-8 weeks these days on the NHS though. They cost a lot, so will be resistant to order one for you. I have problems doing anything for any length of time, sitting, sleeping in bed , walking, I am constantly changing posture and live in chronic pain, and more than just sciatic nerves involved now !! I am now on slow release morphine to make it tolerable, some of the time at least !! Depending on what the route cause is will depend on which treatment you are offered, physio, pain meds, steroid injection at Pain Clinic, surgery only in very bad cases where rish:benefit ratio in your favour ! Most not keen to operate. I am currently waiting to see about a spinal cord stimulator, if I am a suitable candidate !...after 9 years of hell I need a better solution myslef

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.