Pain in the Butt

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 7 weeks Post Op fron TKR Knee is coming along slowly, But my main problem is my Buttocks and Hip. I have already had a THR  2 years ago.and the Ache and pain is awflul . It's really is affecting me, I can't sleep, uncomfortable to sit. Has anyone else suffered like this.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I hope you get replies to this because I have had the same thing. My sciatica started 5 months after my 2nd tkr. It has lessened but never goes away. I am thinking of an epidural. I went to my rheumatologist Friday and she gave me a slip for physical therapy. But I am skeptical. I dont even know where to go for an epidural. Or if it would even work. I am in the states. So nothing is free. Even with health 8ns the Bill's keep pouring in for services not covered

• Posted

It is very common - I’ve learned since surgery- for the sciatic nerve to be irritated by TKR. Be careful how you’re stretching, for example: To stretch hams and glutes , lie on your back and use a long towel or cloth or belt around your foot to pull the leg up to stretch - rather than sitting with your legs straight out and bending forward toward the knee. There are also some sciatic nerve flossing exercises I’m sure you could find on YouTube. Foam rolling really helps as well (see YouTube). Don’t roll on the hip joint itself - just on the buttocks and thigh muscles. (Foam rolling is basically a way to do deep tissue massage to yourself. If you can’t foam roll, then a deep tissue massage could help.) And finally, I’ve had to mainly lie on my right side with a pillow beneath my torso. 

Find a position that relieves the pain if possible and spend resting time in that position. You’d probably be taking the pressure off whatever nerve or muscle structures are being over-stressed due to TKR. 

P.S. My first career was as a physical therapist.

And prayers for you! I’m so sorry you’re hurting so much. I’m 10 weeks post TKR.

• Posted

7 weeks is such early days.....I am 9 months and still have hip / buttock pain - I was told by my physio I was favouring the operated leg, throwing things out of kilter a bit......it will come right in the end...slowly mind you....so keep taking the pain relief - especially before any physio - I found that helped.....I never thought I would get to this stage as the recovery seemed relentless plus I had a 2nd procedure to knock off some leaked cement and have the knee cap replaced again - I recovered fairly swiftly from that but it took them a long time to acknowledge I had a problem and all is going exceptionally well now.....so don't be put off if you think there is something wrong and not just normal recovery aches and pains........good luck x

P.s. Look up some of Chico's posts - he has posted a lot of excellent advice on here....helped me a great deal!

• Posted

I'm almost 9 months out from double knee replacement and yes, I had pain in my hips, pelvis and butt (tail bone?) area very early on. The hip/pelvis pain got better as time went on but now I have a foot problem that I am seeing a doctor for. I have multiple reasons for my pelvis pain; one being pudendal nerve pain that I had BEFORE my surgery because my structure has been messed up for years and I've had multiple abdominal surgeries.. Or it could be from my new straight legs and structure shift. It appeared to get better but now recently is bad again. I'm confused about the real origin of my problems. But I think specific exercises MUST be the key. Look up exercises on Youtube for where your pain is located. You might need to strengthen muscle groups that seem completely unrelated to where your pain is. I've heard a strong core effects so many other things. Hope you find relief and wisdom.

• Posted

I believe there’s a definite structure shift. Muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints all shifted as your body adapted to the trauma from injury or arthritis. Then everything gets straightened out regarding the joint, but it takes time and lots of stretching to adjust to the new and better normal.
    • Posted

I am going thru the same thing a year after tkr. My rheumatologist said I should go to physical therapy. She also said my muscles were weakening. I am wondering if walking more and riding a recumbent bike will strengthen them. I got used to sitting around and now must force myself to move. The summer was a scorcher. Now fall is here but I'm afraid to take long walks in case I fall over. A feather could knock me over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.